ENG3407 D618, Gothic Literature and Visual Culture FA2016

active 5 years, 5 months ago
English
ENG 3407

In the eighteenth century, the Gothic genre emerged to enable a new type of reading and thinking about what it means to be human: it created a new imaginative space in which to consider not only dreams and nightmares, but also fantasies of alternate identities. It was possible, through the Gothic, to imagine vampires, zombies, werewolves, and other types of monsters that reflect and mutate human desires.

The purpose of this course is to gain a better understanding of the popular genre of the Gothic as it was developed and practiced in the late-eighteenth century and through to today in a variety of cultural contexts. An important foundation to this class is the idea that the Gothic is more than simply mysterious or strange; it is a transgressive and provocative sort of strange.

The course will focus on key concepts such as horror, haunting, madness, monsters, and the undead, concepts that serve as entry points to theories such as the uncanny, queerness, and the sublime. Students will critically read, analyze, and write about the ways that the Gothic questions what it means to be normal or accepted. The class will learn about and practice using tools for reading, interpreting, and critically responding to fiction, film, poetry, and other cultural manifestations of the Gothic. In addition, students will participate in conversations about contemporary American identities and also engage in experiential learning through field trips to Gothic architectural spaces.

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Ruth Garcia

Dracula

Dracula is a classic read that almost everyone in the world has heard of it if not read it. […] See MoreDracula

Dr.Jekyll and My.Hyde

As soon as I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde I knew that the theme of the story is Good vs Evil. Dr. […] See MoreDr.Jekyll and My.Hyde

Professor tarr and Dr Jekyll

Having read “The system of Professor Tarr and Professor Feather” by Edgar Allan Poe last year I s […] See MoreProfessor tarr and Dr Jekyll

Comment on "Response 5"

I agree with you that you shouldn't be that curious because you never know what might happen to […] See MoreComment on "Response 5"

Comment on "Response 6"

Its really true that people have a different personality at home and another personality with […] See MoreComment on "Response 6"

Comment on "Young Goodman Brown"

I agree with your theme that is isolation because the mental patients got so tired of the workers […] See MoreComment on "Young Goodman Brown"

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.