Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #18: Choosing a Mode

The genre I have selected to present my information is an image and based on my research I have chosen to do poster imagine. I have chosen to do a poster image because I feel like that would be a better way to inform not only my discourse community but also anyone who stumbles upon my image of the treatment of undocumented Mexicans in the agriculture industry. I am going to be sticking with the idea of using bilingual text because since my discourse community is undocumented Mexicans I want them to understand that they are seen, that they are not alone or invisible. Posters are a good way to plant and present an idea which is why I think this genre is appropriate and will be effective. The main elements of a poster are having a title, having graphics, having a text, the layout, the color one chooses, and the order you put your text and graphics. Having a title is essential because you need to let your audience know what the poster is about you can’t just put pictures or words and expect your audience to know what the message is. Graphics and text are also important because those are the main components of a poster, a poster takes up a large amount of space so have images and text that flows together should be considered since usually posters are enlarged which is also connected to the layout you want to make sure you plan out how you want to put your graphics and text together you want to have a good layout to have an idea of how the end result will look like. This brings me to the colors one chooses when it comes to a poster you want to make sure you capture the attention of whoever stops and reads it,  if the colors blend in too much it may look like one whole picture but its better if your graphics and text stand out enough but still manage to flow together. What I will use to compose my piece is going to be a laptop and printer, my laptop because that’s where I think I’m going to produce my final piece but a pinter because I want to create a real life-size poster to get an idea of what it’s going to look like because since the final piece is going to be done on my laptop the size difference is going to be big. The information I’m going to be including is how undocumented Mexican farmworkers are being treated during this pandemic, as well as some recent boycotts that have been happening recently to improve working conditions for these workers. I have some other sources I could use to further my knowledge of my topic but the research from my bibliography will also come in use when including information on my poster.

1. Ruth Garcia

This sounds good. You don’t have a sample here though so please make sure you find some. Also will you create your own image or find some. If you are googling find images that are in the public domain. You can do that by doing your search, then:
    going to images,
    clicking on “Tools”
    clicking on “usage rights”
    Picking “Creative Commons licenses”