Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 18: Choosing a Mode

The genre I would choose is a graphic essay in the form of a magazine article. I would draw my inspiration from national geographic. National geographic is one of the most popular scientific magazine today, and I feel like using their format will help to maintain the attention of the reader. The format they use is adding in both videos and pictures that further explain push their point across to the reader. By writing my piece I hope to showcase the problems caused by climate change and ways that they can help to minimize the effects and help the planet.

• When writing my graphic essay I hope to make it around 5-6 pages roughly because the picture and videos will take up a decent amount of space in the writing.
  • The tone I hope to give off in my writing is serious. I’d like to give off this tone because climate change is a very serious thing and it can shorten the amount of time we have left on the planet.
  • I’m not too sure how I will do the video aspect of the essay but the picture will be easily formatted using google docs.

1. Ruth Garcia

This is a good choice but where is the sample graphic essay and your analysis showing that you have a sense of the elements of the genre. I see that you say about videos and pictures but what else? What can you say about the title? Are there quotes or stats highlighted in larger font and in text boxes throughout? What kind of tone and language? As for the video, if it is not do-able then you don’t do it. But you’ll see.