Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #17: Choosing a Discourse Community

Since my annotated bibliography was about unemployment and its effects on the world, I believe that it’s discourse community should be the ones seeing this topic as a very big problem universally. The discourse community should be economists. Based on US News; economists agree that monthly job growth of at least 175,000 to 200,000 is necessary just to absorb new entrants into the labor market, with much faster job creation required to meaningfully reduce unemployment. Unfortunately, that is not what is happening, it is increasing rapidly. Economists know very well about this subject, most in which are trying to solve this issue. I think economists are expecting the unemployment rates to increase during this time, hence the virus (Covid-19) that changed the world. They expect unemployment to decrease after this pandemic is actually over. I believe everybody is concerned with the way they live after; it can get worse or hopefully a lot better. This discourse community wouldn’t really benefit from this information because they are already aware of this issue and are working on it. The best method for reaching this community would probably be through political reforms and them seeing most of the nation standing to defeat this issue and help resolve it.

1. Ruth Garcia

If this information shows that political reform is necessary then maybe you want to talk to voters or to a local elected official.