Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Finalizing Research Question

I became interested in my research question when I realized that I’ve been surrounded by people that go through this struggle. I’ve seen many people get rejected from jobs, get judged by disgusting stereotypes, or even as something simple as having their name mispronounced multiple times. I’m interested because I would like to know why someone’s name has an impact on their future, a huge one at that. It’s almost as if you have to work twice as hard in life, just for having a unique name. I expect to find honest responses as to why some people are judged based on their name and if the real first impression is not the personality but instead it’s the name? Also anything that’s informative or could possibly explain the thought process behind this. 

Final Question: Why do names have such an impact on livelihood?

1. Ruth Garcia

Have you started to look this up and see if what comes up is focused enough to help you understand. On the one hand, this question seems too obvious–its racism and related biases. But then you say, you want to know the thought process–and that seems completely unknowable. Also–what do you mean by livelihood–do you mean in the job search process? I think you should keep playing with this question. Can you come speak with me during office hours today (Tuesday 3/23, between 10:30 and 12:30)? If not, lets make an appointment.