Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Finalizing the Research Question

Finalized Research Question:Ā 
How has an advance in technology contributed to economic inequality?

Interest and Expectations:
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  What made me have so much interest in my question is that I personally see the inequality grow bigger each day. I think itā€™s ridiculous how rich people are getting richer while many people with either great or normal wage jobs are struggling to survive. Even throughout the pandemic, the rich have benefitted so much. However, I wanted to figure out if technology had some sort of impact on this economic inequality in relation to how many people are losing jobs, and how the job demand is affected with it. Itā€™s known how machinery is replacing humans in many aspects, so I wanted to figure out why this occurs and how it possibly made the economic gap so much bigger, or not. There are many factors that lead to economic inequality, but I wanted to dive deep into how technology has one of the major effects since many believe advancing technology is solely beneficial, when that is not totally the case. The answers and information I expect to find in response to my research questions are most definitely statistics and hopefully any clear evidence of individuals forced out of their jobs because of the technology replacement. I also expect to find how this change in work places contributes to the economic inequality; in how the rich are accumulating many amounts of money while others are having difficulties making ends meet. Additionally, I hope to find what kind of jobs are being moved onward by replacing people with different kinds of technology and why they think that may be more ā€œusefulā€ than peoples ability to do the same job.Ā Ā 

1. Ruth Garcia

Excellent! If you get stuck as you research, then reach out to me–but for now this looks good to go. The only think you might end up having to do, is narrow down if you find that there is to much information. For example, you might need to pick one way technology contributes to economic inequality and work to understand that one way. But I’m not sure–you’ll see as you go.