Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Developing Research Questions

The social justice issue I have decided to use for my annotated bibliography is Gender inequality but more specifically the position of women.

In my preliminary research, I learned that gender inequality is even depicted through television. Many television shows or movies we see about family have women doing stereotypical roles or jobs. I was able to learn how this impacts the way society view and see women, and the stature it gives men. Women can have the same qualifications as a man to work the same job but will get turned down, the reasoning is it’s a “man’s” job. Even when women are fortunate to get the job they are oftentimes paid way less.

1. Does the content broadcasted on television affect the way society views the position of women? why or why not?
  2. Do you think there will ever be a true end to discrimination in regards to women?
  3. What changes can be made to see improvement in this issue?

1. Ruth Garcia

Great topic and you have started to narrow down by thinking about gender inequality in television and movies. I would even pick either tv or movies to narrow down further. Then I would say your first question is the one that feels as if it will be most productive. I would rephrase so that instead of “Does” you ask, “How do traditional gender roles depicted in television …” . Do another short preliminary search and see what comes up. You will probably need to further specific. For example, you might want to look at “How do the depiction of stereotypical/traditional gender roles in children’s television affect children?”