Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Responding to Douglass

After reading and listening to Douglass’ speech, he talks about how America became free from British rule and established a new country. It is also mentioned that independence day is celebrated and enjoyed by other people, but not him. Even though the country became free, the African American community was not free from slavery. They were mistreated and discriminated in the community.

Quote: ”

Would you have me argue that man is entitled to liberty? that he is the rightful owner of his own body? You have already declared it. Must I argue the wrongfulness of slavery? Is that a question for Republicans? Is it to be settled by the rules of logic and argumentation, as a matter beset with great difficulty, involving a doubtful application of the principle of justice, hard to be
understood? How should I look to-day, in the presence of Americans, dividing, and subdividing a discourse, to show that men have a natural right to freedom?”

Paraphrase: People regardless of race should be given freedom. It is shown that you have not recognized the injustice of slavery. America is divided. Not only that, the African American community is isolated and your logic regarding this issue shows ignorance.

Response: Douglass argues that all people should be created equal and given freedom. The government does not recognize that slavery is wrong and inhumane. They are ignoring slavery and isolating the African Americans where unequal rights were given. It goes to show that America is divided.

1. Ruth Garcia

Your paraphrase does a good job of explaining your quote, as does your response. I would encourage you to use the paraphrase to more exactly explain what the quote says literally. Then what you have now in the paraphrase would go with the response since what you have there now is more of an explanation of why he says the things he says. You don’t have to re-do this, I’m just suggesting for next time you paraphrase a quote.