Quote 1: “I am, of course, familiar with my local discourse community in Michigan’s ELI. I know when the building is unlocked and how to gain access when it is locked, where the toilets are, and who to ask for technical help….when I travel to another university for a conference, I do not know any of these things and, unless the signage is excellent, I will probably soon get lost.”

Explanation: I can relate to this quote because when I first started High School I had no knowledge of getting through the building. I think that in the future when I have to work I will go through the same experience I did before.

Quote 2: “These DCs have acquired many abbreviations and acronyms as well as some special words and phrases that are needed in order to get their jobs done more quickly and more efficiently—terminologies that are not used, nor even often understood, by the general public.”

Explanation: I can relate to this quote because I have trouble comprehending terms used in different fields of work. I have friends that work with computers and when I listen to them talk about their work they use terms that I cannot understand. 

A discourse community that I participate in is the mechanical engineering school. This community helps and pushes students to prepare and become mechanical engineers. They teach the students to use the machinery that is used for constructing.