Week 12: Hands Up, Don’t Shoot: Photographs from #Ferguson (Leah M)

While reading the two articles, I can understand why a certain group of people can hate. Personally I believe that some of the forced used in Ferguson was a bit to extreme. In the article, Behind the Best Pictures From Ferguson, With Getty Photographer Scott Olson I tried imagining first hand what it felt like being there in person. In my opinion it seemed like a war zone. It brought me back to the memories of operation Iraqi freedom with all those photos popping up on my television. It certainly is not a nice feeling. After reading that article,and seeing all the news coverage, the photos being posted on social media made me believe that down in Ferguson was a war zone. “Ferguson the war against Americans”. Now to compare the incident which took place at Kent State on May 4th 1970 there was so much similarity and that of all the rioting taking place in Ferguson. The body of Michael Brown laying on the ground after being shot by police and the body of Jeffrey Miller which laid in the streets from a single bullet he too meet his fate at the hands of a national guardsman.Reading the two articles brought me right back into history.                      Considering the photos taken by Scott Olson during the early days in Ferguson and that of John Filo famous Kent State photograph and the events of May 4, 1970 brought us back to what our forefathers fought for. Martin Luther must be rolling in his grave.  On the other hand the I can understand why such a stance was taken in Ferguson by the police and national guardsmen after the verdict was given in the Michael Brown case. The police department and all knew that without a guilty verdict there would be a lot of blood shared. I don’t agree with the manner in which they tried restoring peace over there (tear gas, rubber bullets etc.) The looting in Ferguson by the protesters was uncalled for. One can protest without breaking any law and still get their point across. We continue to live in a world of injustice. Black lives sure does matter.

Outrage In Missouri Town After Police Shooting Of 18-Yr-Old Man