(Leah. M) Week 11: The New American Dustbowl: Documenting California’s Drought

It seems like these farmers in Central Valley , California, forgot about everything that happened back in 1930 the Dust Bowl and what had happened. When land is farmed for several years and not given a chance to rest, eventually you will end up with the situation currently taking place in Central Valley. I won’t say that Americans are not aware of the drought conditions in California and the impact on our agricultural supply.They are aware of it. When you go to the vegetables stands, the price of everything has gone up. For example about 3 years ago I could have gone to the fruits and vegetables stand in my neighborhood and purchase a bunch of broccoli for $1.00. I no longer pay $1.00 but $2.50. One of the main reasons for this is because of supply and demand. There is a high demand, but a low supply due to the water crisis these farmers are faced with. So if you are a conscience shopper like me you will be aware of the change in price items. So I don’t think that is a fair statement (just my opinion).                                                                    The photograph comparison to FSA photography is quite accurate. It brings you right back to that time of the dust bowl. A very sad situation indeed but that’s what happens when the land is not given time to rest. It will eventually give up the ghost. Everyone loses in that situation. Crops are lost, livestock dies, such a sad sad sad situation. I’m praying for rain for Central Valley California.