Breakfast all accross the world!

I was born and raised in a country called Guyana, located in South America for until t was aboutĀ 12 years old. before I moved to the States.Ā  What we ate for breakfast is totally different from what is eaten here, the breakfast there is usually consisted of highly unprocessedĀ starchy foods. Breakfast is truly the most important meal in a highly manual/physical labored workforce in country like Guyana in the early 90’s. Lunch andĀ  dinnerĀ tended to be a lot lighter than breakfast.

Some of my favorite breakfast foods are:

photo139

Tennis Roll with Cheese – A tennis roll is similar to aĀ dinner roll,Ā but is slightly bigger and the dough is rich, making the tennis roll chewy. buttery and compliments a slice of local cheese very well.

4726772_f520

Bake and Salt Fish –Ā  A “Bake” is a West Indian fried bread, usually served with salt fish, that has been soaked for a day or two to get rid of the very strong salt flavor and to rehydrate the fish. The fish is thenĀ sautĆ©ed with onions, tomatoes, seasoningsĀ and peppers.

callaloo

Or for a vegetarian option. there isĀ  “callaloo”Ā and it isĀ another popular option. Callaloo is similar to collard greens. The leafs are also sautĆ©ed with tomatoes, seasonings and peppers.

Masala-Dosa

This has to be my absolute favorite breakfast ever! It’s called “Dosa” . It is similar to a pancake, but is much more denser and savory. Dosa can be served with various sauces, salsas or reductions. My love eating Dosa with Masala potatoes, served with a spicy green mango reduction.

papaya

Papaya is a very popular fruit to eat after a breakfast meal, it is excellent for aiding in digestion and very nutritious.Ā  Papaya is easily cultivated and can be grown in the backyard.

img_9019

A West Indian breakfast is not complete without a cup of milo or ovaltine, a delicious cup of hot coco that is filled with tons of vitamins.