Professor Sean Scanlan
Mon 11-12; Tues 2:30-3:30
Office: Namm 520
- The Real Thing Should Become PlainAs you get older, you should get impatient with showing off in literature. It is easier to settle for blazing light than to find a language for the real. Whether you are a writer or a bird-dog trainer, life should winnow the superfluous language. The real thing should become plain. You should go straight to […]
- Writers Make Everybody NervousWriters make everybody nervous but we terrify Silly Service workers. Our apartments always look like a front for something, and no matter how carefully we tidy up for guests we always seem to miss the note card that says, “Margaret has to die soon.” We own the kind of books that spies use to construct […]
- Action Is Character“Action is character.” This is what F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote in his notes while working on his final novel, The Last Tycoon, and he wrote it in caps: ACTION IS CHARACTER. If one of our greatest narrative writers had to remind himself of that right up to the end, it must be pretty important. It is. […]
- The Real Thing Should Become Plain
- Your New Breakfast PlanGet out of your rut, whether it’s by making your own yogurt or taking a look at our collection of fast breakfast recipes.
- When the World Opens UpThe things we’ll do.
- I Lost My Appetite Because of Covid. This Sichuan Flavor Brought It Back.The classic combination in mala of Sichuan peppercorns and chiles makes for a sensation that is spicy, tingly and spicy again.
- Your New Breakfast Plan