Exploring City Tech’s Electrical Engineering Technology at City Tech and a Career in Electrical Engineering by Justin Echevarria

My name is Justin Echevarria. I am currently a undergraduate at CUNY’s New York City College of Technology (City Tech). I came to this college because they offered me my current major Electrical Engineering Technology. I believe this career path is best suitable for me because I am very skilled in the mathematics and physics which is required, when I took my first physics course I was always fascinated with electricity and the circuitry. Also I am still debating if one day I too can become a professor and pass on my knowledge to the future generation(s). I will state what is required to become a professional electrical engineer, explain what City Tech has to offer that will not only help me, but the opportunities they have to offer. I will explain the median annual salary that will lead me to where I want to be in the future. In order for me to achieve my goal I must always remain focused, learn the ropes of becoming more professional, building more responsibility, and gaining the knowledge that was provided and use it for the everyday work place in my vicinity.

Responsibility is probably the most important asset because when I am in the field doing a job people expect and trust me to know what I am doing. With that being said if I do not have full responsibility and exactly know what I am doing I am putting many people at risk by allowing them to go into an area that is not safe for their wellbeing. Although I will not be able to get hands on experience now I will be allowed to when I am in my third semester. There are other ways to become more responsible without hands on work and that is what my EET professors test my intelligence in the class by giving my peers test and projects. In the projects the professor gives us a design or we have to design a circuit and he will question and ask us what will happen if something went wrong with it. The question can be about anything that is relevant to the class or it can be something that is the complete opposite.

Growing up my father has always taught me to become a determined person. With that being said, I grew up thinking about my future and what I wanted to do as a longer term career. Before graduating high school I felt as if I needed to figure out what exactly what I wanted to do before getting into college, so I decided to think about what am are my academic skills, what do I enjoy doing etc. I was in my senior year when I was taking a remedial physics course and we had finally taken the topic of electricity and as I was learning it I realized that I enjoyed it. I started doing some research on my own that way I would know more or less what I am getting myself into, and everything seemed reasonable enough for me so thats when I decided this is exactly what I want to do. I have a family friend thats actually is a supervisor for Con Edison, she was able to help me with further information that will help me and they do look for internships within this major. According to the City Tech’s catalog, “The Electrical Engineering Technology program is designed to prepare graduates for careers as electronic technician. The curriculum includes a balanced distribution of lecture and laboratory courses which provide an introduction to the design and development of basic electronic circuits. (City Tech p.267)” In other words City Tech is allowing me to gain the experience of basic hands on work in my field as well as I am taught through verbal lecture(s) which prepares me for future careers. On the City Tech catalog “Employers of the graduates of this program include a variety companies such as Con Edison, IBM, ITT, Avaya, USPS, NYPD, MTA, JPMorgan Chase and Verizon. (City Tech p.267)”  Although these are major well known companies there are other companies that I can possibly work for and even though I am not really learning anything new I am gaining the best knowledge that can be given such as experience.

As I was looking for a future career median salary was one of the most important things I had to look into. The Occupational Outlook Handbook states, “The median annual wage for electrical engineers was $87,920 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount  and half earned less. (Web)” With this being said I can look to finish paying my college debt off, possibly go back into college to further my career and/or invest small amounts and as profit comes in invest that to keep earning more money. This isn’t only about money because I do plan to enjoy what I do for the rest of my life, but if I am given the chance to do something that can further my career and I can get into another field I will do it. It’ll be a joy for me if I can do other “hobbies” outside of my field or even connected while still mastering my own.

Before becoming an electrical engineer theres the obvious process of education that you must go through. According to the Outlook HandBook, “Entry-level jobs in electrical or electronics engineering generally require a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or electrical engineering technology. Programs include classroom, laboratory, and field studies. Courses included digital systems design, differential equations, and electrical circuit accredited by ABET.”  As a student of New York City College of Technology I am exposed to all these requirements as well as unpaid and/or paid internships. City Tech is great because they inform and try to include all students to join internships for more outside hands on work. Many requirements on the electrical engineering field is not only just understanding the concept of how electricity functions, but do have hands on experience. Hands on experience is important because it is a different style of teaching. For example, I can tell someone how to read the current flowing through a circuit, but when someone actually does it for the first time hands on some people may not really understand what is going or what they are doing. This brings up the method WOVEN (Written, Oral, Verbal, Electronic, and Non Verbal) is not only multiple ways of communication, but it allows others to gain a different approach on what they are doing.

I have decided coming to NYC College of Technology was my best fit because they have to offer the program Electrical Engineering Technology. I do plan on staying at City Tech because I believe I can benefit from this school, it has multiple things to offer and is well connected with numerous electrical companies. I have explained what are the requirements to enter my professional field and I am excited of what I can do when I excel in my academic career and begin my long term career.

Works Cited

New York City College of Technology (City Tech). “Electrical Engineering Technology.” New York City College of Technology Catalog 2014-2015. Web. 20 April 2015.

United States. “Graphic Designers.” Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition. Web. 26 April 2015.