Exploring City Tech’s Fashion Marketing Major at City Tech and a Career in Fashion Marketing by Alexys Harden.

Using My Brain to Explore a Career Path

image

Currently, I’m a college freshman searching for a way to be successful. The way I view success may be a little different from others, so let me explain. Success as defined by me, Alexys Harden, is having happiness lwithin my family, a job that I love and isn’t just a mean of income, and enough money to live comfortably and hopefully lavishly from time to time. I believe that my current major in college which is Fashion Marketing will get me to that point. Fashion Marketing is the best major and career choice for me because it will allow me to make enough money to live off of comfortably, satisfy my desire to work in the fashion industry, and keep me busy enough to stay interested in my job. In this essay I will express what I desire in my future during and after college graduation.

At my current school, The New York City College of Technology, I’m enrolled in the 2-year associates degree program for fashion marketing. Fashion marketing is cut out fir a person with “an eye for fashion and a mind for business” (Mogg). My education during my first year started off with the “fundamentals of business, marketing and merchandising of fashion goods” (City Tech, 2014). In the next year I should have the skills required to “meet professional standards in fashion marketing” (City Tech, 2014). I will also gain the knowledge I need to further my education with a higher ranking degree. According to CUNY if I’m anything like past graduates of City Tech I should be able to be an executive in the field of marketing, which is just what I hope to be. After I graduate from City Tech I plan on using my education to become a marketing manager for a fashion label. The size of the company is not as important to me as the work I will be doing to start with. As long as my first job is satisfying my desire to work within the fashion business industry, I will be content.

imageThis photo represents my major class in my first year.

Working in the fashion industry was a small dream of mine for many years as a young child. I lacked the art skills it took to design but always had the creativity and wit it takes to market or give meaning to a brand. According to Shimmering Resumes the objective of fashion marketing and public relations is to “give clothing collections a public face” (Fashion Industry Careers). With my talent of persuasion and knowledge on how to attract others based off of phycological factors, fashion marketing is perfect for me. Although I know my career choice will make me happy and that life isn’t all about a biweekly check, money is definitely important.

image This photo is of an advertisement done by a fashion brand, Aero.

Although my main focus for life is having a job that makes me happy a majority of the time, money rules. Even if we try to avoid it money will always be a focus in life. To start my career off, I don’t mind making a low salary for about a year as long as I am learning and enjoying my experience. After a year, I will not settle until I feel I’m living comfortably. According to The Occupational Outlook Handbook, Marketing Managers had a median salary of $115,750 a year in 2012 (Summary, 2014). A salary like that would allow me to live more than comfortable, but I plan to be a busy young woman at work with hardly any time to spend those large checks.

Marketing in general is an intense job that requires lots of attention and hours in the office. According to U.S News, “marketing managers generally work more than 40 hours per week” and the stress is on overload when new products are set to come out (Castro, 2015).  The stress and excitement that comes along with preparing to reveal a brand or product to the world will keep me on my toes and enthusiastic towards my job. Also, a key objective of marketing is to sell a brand or clothing line to consumers. As I have learned during courses in City Tech, this job takes an extreme amount of persuasion and research on human behavior to accomplish the goals of marketing. The phycology aspect to marketing is extremely interesting to me and when combined with another passion of mine, fashion, will hold my interest and love during my career.

As I pursue my career as a fashion marketing manager, I believe that City Tech can help me get on the right track. City Tech has a group of advisors that are catering to the students’ needs everyday. Another reason I believe that City Tech is good for a fashion student like myself is because it is located in New York City. New York is the fashion capital of The United States of America, so theres almost no better city to find internships and make connections. City Tech also allows their fashion students to get “hands-on experience through field trips to fashion markets, showrooms and trade shows that enhance the overall learning experience” (City Tech, 2015).

To those interested in Fashion Marketing, do your research. Find out if the career characteristics fit your attitude and capabilities. Always read a colleges catalog and make sure that you reach out to other students with the same goals as you for help. Also, the staff at City Tech would be more than happy to give advice and guidance through your college career.

Works Cited

Castro, Kimberly. “Marketing Manager.” Job Overview. Web. 1 May 2015.

“Fashion Industry Careers.” Fashion Industry Careers. Web. 26 Apr. 2015.

Mogg, Kirsten. “What Is Fashion Marketing? | Career Bear.” Career Bear. 12 Oct. 2011. Web. 6 May 2015.

New York City College of Technology (City Tech). “Fashion Marketing” New York City College of Technology College Catalog 2014-2015. Web. 20 April 2015

“Summary.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 8 Jan. 2014. Web.

1 May 2015.