James Levin is a career coach who helps college graduates find entry level jobs. Levin provided some major tips when applying for a job. Of Course your Resume is the number one priority. Sending the resume is the easy part, but what happens when next? The creative director reads it of course. He mention it takes seconds for someone to read a resume. The question is did the resume catch the attention of the director? Or did they just threw it in the shredder. Your job is to catch the eye of the the creative director so that they can take minutes into reading your resume. To do this you have to have key points that the company is looking for. When you’ve accomplished that, then the COVER LETTER!

Now the COVER LETTER is the hardest part for all jobs. There are many formats to creating a cover letter. To be honest I still have no idea on how to create a well written, less boring, non-wordy, self-absorbed COVER LETTER. Levin mention that it is indeed difficult. Most companies job description says “PLEASE NO BORING COVER LETTER”. Simple key points,

1. Research the company you are applying for.When you have done that, work that knowledge into your cover letter.
  2. Try not to say “I am”, “I” “My” and etc.

That should be enough to write a compelling Cover Letter. Now the next step is the interview.

ALWAYS have a portfolio when entering  job interview. You don’t have to have 20 plus works, it’s good to have 6 good top notch works in your portfolio. When you get the job, sometimes your supervisor will ask of you do do something that you don’t have experience or have no knowledge in . Don’t say”I don’t know” say “I’ll find out”. That means you are willing to dedicate yourself in the topic at hand. You are willing to try. He also mention that asking for help is not bad it’s good. You’re not stupid. Everyone needs help. I think this applys to me a lot. I have difficulty in asking for help in any job I’ve had. Everyone doesn’t know everything. You never know someone might be asking you for help, and they get paid way more than you do. It’s your job to be helpful.

I learned so much from James Levin. When I graduate in the spring, I will definitely follow his steps in getting an entry-level job.  He made it less scary. Meaning when I leave college I have an idea of what I’m going to do, and how I can do it. Thank You James Levin.