Debbie Millman is the co-founder and chair of Masters in Branding at S.V.A in New York City. She is also an author of 6 books on branding.

https://www.amazon.com/Debbie-Millman/e/B001JRWX3U/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&qid=1386895175&sr=8-2-ent&tag=smb0a-20

On March 16, 2017,  I attended Debbie Millman’s workshop at 80 Hanson place in Brooklyn. This was my first event I’ve gone to outside of school. I was a little nervous when i walked in . I had my ticket in hand and asked the receptionist “which room is this event held?” he just pointed to the right and there were about 7 people standing around waiting for the event to start. The event was “SUPPOSE” to start at 6:00 pm. We stood around for a good 20 mins when a woman named Violet came out to greet us. She passed around stickers and a marker for us to write our names down and put it on ourselves where everyone can read your name without people asking your names. Call it “breaking the ice”. Make sense right? Sometimes I forgot I had a name tag on it and some stranger there would  call my name and I would  look at them like “ I know you?” then they pointed at my name tag. That happened like 3 times. Anyways, the event didn’t really start until like 45 mins after 6:00.

Finally  they decided to start. We were seated in a small white room. That’s when more people started to roll in. I realized that a lot of people go to any random events, even though the subject doesn’t pertain to them.  If it’s interesting they’ll go. That’s when I met a beauty salon owner and stylist named Sky. Sky was very colorful. She had this crazy big hair with multiple colors in her hair . Which such a great conversation starter. She was the center of attention, not to mention she was also outgoing. I learned from her that shyness in a any event is not allowed. You will be ignore and lookover if you don’t introduce yourself first, or start a conversation with someone. Also that it’s okay to talk. Chances are that other person could be shy as well.  

Going to this event I thought i knew about branding being a designer and all. Well. I was so wrong.  She first started by telling us the history of branding. 160 years ago was when brands were able to be trademark. Bass Ale  was the very 1st brand to be to be trademark. She mention that since Bass Ale was first to be trademarked, it has been painted in many famous paintings like Picasso ”Bottle of Bass and Glass” and Edouard Manet “A Bar at the Folies-Bergère”.

HISTORY OF BRANDING THROUGH THE YEARS

1875-1920:

• Brands generated quality and consistency. For example Coca-Cola and packaged brands like Ivory soap and Campbell’s soup.
  • 95 Barrels of Alleged Apple Cider vs. U.S Supreme Court Case.

“The information alleged that the vinegar was adulterated, in violation of section 7 of the act. It also alleged that the vinegar was made from dried or evaporated apples, and was misbranded in violation of section 8, in that the statements on the label were false and misleading, and in that it was an imitation of and offered for sale under the distinctive name of another article, namely, apple cider. Vinegar.”

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/265/438

Brand became more represented:

• Everyone wanted to launch a product. Brands started to have mascots. Betty Crocker and Snap,Crackle and Pop. These brands got people to buy their products through their eyes. Cereal mascots are always looking down.But why are they looking down and not up? Well because kids are short and they are always looking up. Not all brands look down. Milk Bone dog mascot looks straight at the consumer, when looking at Dogs people look straight at there eyes.

Mid 60’s Brands as self-expressive statement:

• A brand could provide status. A statement that can project to the consumer, like Levis, Nike and Marlboro cigarettes. Marlboro (mid 1800’s) in the UK was launched as smoking is for women. Women cigarettes were advertised with ivory tips to protect the lips. You don’t have to keep putting on lipstick contently on. Then there was the Marlboro Man. The Marlboro man is the manly man. When you smoke Marlboro cigarettes your cool.

Brand as an experience:

• Starbucks, Blockbuster and etc…. We were more social interactive with people  For Blockbuster we had to get up and travel to the nearest one, (which was always far for some reason) and look through the entire store what you haven’t watched yet. Then grab the empty VHS or DVD box and wait on line to pay a ridiculous price and travel back home. Weeks after the first Ipod was launched, we were becoming a “isolation nation”. We didn’t have go and buy C.D’s anymore we could now buy specific songs we wanted instead of buying a whole album for that one song. No more clutter of C.D’s, no more “why is this C.D in this case?” our lives were becoming much more simple and convenient through brands. Blockbuster went and Netflix  and Hulu came in and is now still dominating movies and shows.

Brands help us connect:

• Brand is a profound communication. It allows us to understand who we want to be connected to.
  • Generation Z are digital natives. Nowadays we have too much social media in a way that people aren’t that social with one another. On Instagram to look like you’re popular, you can buy likes, you can buy followers.
  • With brands we have to help people feel connected. In the last decade we started to brand beliefs, movements, demand change for example Pray for Paris or Black Lives Matter.