“While community college and public university interiors may not boast the gothic arches and antique seminar tables of more moneyed institutions, they are no less sacred, meaningful spaces. Inside these walls, students receive (or should receive) the time and support for intellectual and personal development.” – In Defense of the Classroom by C. Hellman

I agree with this quote because the level or quality of education and help someone can obtain should never depend on how much money they come out of pocket with. I know someone who jumps back and forth between CUNY and SUNY schools for the past three years because they like their private school better but can’t continuously pay over twenty thousand dollars each semester.

“Over time, … my environment, and my introspection have helped me develop the tools needed to pursue higher education at City Tech”, “Books… helped me understand the environment I was living in and how to extricate myself from it. The book speaks about a troubled kid named Sonny who fell victim to poverty and violence of his community. With positive influence, he realized that his negative ways wouldn’t produce the outcome that he desired.” – The Caged Birds Prevail by S. Hobson

I can totally relate to these statements because I live in a not so great environment (locations and family wise) and the drive to get out definitely means I need to go beyond a high school education

“My articulate answer never goes a miss… When I’m on the block, I switch it up because I can…” – Broken English by J. Lyiscott

Me and my mom had a conversation about “slang” and I called it being versatile (lol) and knowing there is a time and place for everything. The way you speak to your peers is not the same way you should speak to your parent or teacher.

“The thought of me not going to college was never entertained.” B. Obama

This was a goal that I had set for myself when I was younger and I can understand Obama’s mother’s concern for his future at the time