Chee Cheong Fun

20160420_145849

While in Chinatown for the tour, I was able to sample Chee Cheong Fun.  It is basically a rice roll.  When I first heard that, I pictured something along the lines of sushi.  It’s a roll.  It has rice on it.  Must be sushi!  I was really wrong (reference the picture above.)  It is a realllllllllllly big rice noodle that is steamed, and rolled with your choice of filling.  I had the roast pork.  The noodle had an amazing texture that held on to the peanut sauce, sriracha, and hoisin perfectly.  The filling was a little lacking, but the delicious sauce definitely made up for it.  They’re all made to order and served steaming hot, as evidenced by the burns in my mouth (so worth it.)   I can’t wait to go back and try every variety of rice roll.

One thought on “Chee Cheong Fun

1. Ejones

I accompanied Thomas when we experimented with this rice roll fun food that’s super cheap too. I tried rice roll with fish ball which was really more like fish flakes. This food item is mostly made of a rice wrap and it took a while for me to taste the fish. What I thought was really cool about this food is how its prepared. The rice sheets and all the ingredients used are steamed in a metal box with slender individual drawers. When the rice roll is served to you its super steamy hot. The sauces which gives the rice roll its extra flavor comes in sriracha, peanut or soy sauce. Choose your favorite or mix all three. Eating it plain is not an option. It would be terribly dull without it. I liked it and if I am ever in Chinatown I would definitely try it again, probably with egg added for 50 cents extra.