Do you like MSG?

The thought of me going on this trip to MOFAD was to gain more knowledge of what food is really about. I was expecting a little more to what they had to offer since it was on media for a while. Overall, this place did gave me more understanding of what is Umami or MSG

I always thought that MSG. is only sold in Chinese take-out restaurant during my childhood, however, as I got into hands on experience with ingredients over the past years MSG is used in many type of food. For example, parmesan cheese, canned food, Cheetos, Doritos, and even Boar’s Head that is used for sandwiches. All of these taste good because of this unique flavor enhancing ingredients.

In 1908, a Japanese chemist (Kikunae Ikeda) in Germany identified glutamic acid as the chemical in a type of seaweed or kombu that gives traditional Japanese broth or dashi its savory flavor. This type of substance is commonly found in plants and animals, and even in our bodies. Salts formed from glutamic acid are called glutamates, and the most well-known one we know it as the monosodium glutamate or MSG.

MSG was used in many product during the World War II. Some might say the chemical could bring out the freshness and natural flavor in food. Food processors took that idea and incorporated MSG into their food that is canned, boxed, and even frozen. MSG became vital to the food industry and remains so to this day.