Nov. 21 (M)

PowerPoint

Here is a link to today’s PowerPoint

Homework

Read ā€œPopular Culture Is Killing Writingā€ by Bronwyn T. Williams. Answer the following questions below.Ā Ā 

• What did you think of this text? Explain!Ā  Be honest! Did you find any parts interesting? Did you learn something new?
    • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even!Ā 
    • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
    • Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
    • What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    • Some people argue that popular culture is killing writing, explain their argument.
    • The author disagrees with the argument that popular culture is killing writing. What proof does the author provide that in fact, popular culture is not only killing writing but helps student writing. Provide 1-2 examples.
    • Do you agree or disagree with the authorā€™s argument? Explain! If you feel like it, use examples of your writing to support your argument.

Think about WHAT you are going to include in your drafts. Begin your drafts. Start to PARAPHRASE, SUMMARIZE and QUOTE from your sources!Ā 

1. Nusrat zahan

I thought the text was really interesting and it was easy to read. I liked how he gave a different perspective and shared his point of view and how he disagreed with the idea that popular culture is killing writing. It’s mostly about him talking about how popular culture is not killing writing and how it is improving people’s skills and how people are more likely to make fewer mistakes while they are writing and he is disagreeing with the idea that popular culture is killing writing. In the text, ā€œpopular culture is killing writingā€ he says  “Literacy rates continue to increase in the U.S., as do the number of words people read and write every year, thanks to the rise in online writing.” This quote shows that literacy has been increasing a lot In the US and people read and write more and theyā€™re doing better so it shows that popular culture is not killing writing it. It’s just improving people’s writing so they’re more educated. The tone of the text is formal. I think the author is trying to reach an older audience base that has strong negative views on social media and pop culture. I think the purpose of this text is to let people know that popular culture is not negatively affecting people’s literacy level and in fact, it is helping them in many ways and theyā€™re learning a lot. Some people argue popular culture is bad because ā€œStudents who read too many comics, watch too much television, or play too many digital games, according to this narrative, will produce naıĢˆve, emotional writing that is riddled with errors.ā€The author disagrees with the argument that popular culture is killing writing.  proof that the author provides that in fact, popular culture is not only killing writing but helps student writing is when he says ā€œAnother myth about popular culture and writing is that people learn nothing from. Students learn a tremendous amount about rhetoric and communication from their engagement with popular culture, most notably about rhetorical concepts such as genre, audience, and style.ā€™ā€™I agree with the author’s arguments. I do think popular culture is helping students learn a lot and helping them in many ways.

2. Jiamei Chen

This pieces was good. It help my topic. This is mostly about, Bronwyn T. Williams is sharing some facts about how writing gotten poorly. Pop Culture Is Killing Writing also about argument; in the text he says ā€œThe ease with which students can interpret a form of popular culture has developed with practice, which at some point included struggle, help from others, and accumulating knowledgeā€”in other words, learning”. The genre is fiction. Where stories are written intentionally to be filled with references from other works and media. It’s for the people with the view of popular culture killing writing. For our living than boredom. Some people argue that popular culture is killing writing, to increase writing.

3. Abdul-baset

I found it really interesting and useful. The Author referred to a very important point and the popular culture’s influence today on young people and its impact on writing. It helped me understand why young people today including me find popular culture more engaging.

The Author also indicates how young people today struggle figuring out some genres because they find them complex and hard to be figured. According to the piece of POPULAR CULTURE IS KILLING WRITING by Bronwyn T. Williams states ” The reason students read popular culture with facility and enthusiasm, including complex and sophisticated forms, is not a matter of simplicity, itā€™s a matter of practice. Learning how to navigate any genre takes time and practice to figure out how it works”.

I think the genre is a research paper with a formal academic tone.

I think the intended Audience are young specifically high school and college students.

I think the purpose of the text is to inform readers how popular culture is killing or weakening writing of young people.

some people claimed that due to popular culture young people will seem to write emotional, informal writings and would might also contain errors.

the Author also used the positive outcomes of popular culture as proof to argue why popular culture is killing writing is not true, as the Author states ” People who think all computer games are mindless and donā€™t require thought havenā€™t played the range of games I see students playing, which requires diligence, creativity, and learning to complete” (POPULAR CULTURE IS KILLING WRITING, Bronwyn T. Williams).

yes I agree with the Author’s argument, I believe that popular culture overcomes young people’s mind and make not care about the importance of writing.

4. Anjali Molina

I thought it was interesting and insightful that the author wrote from the perspective of the younger generation. The text was mostly refuting the claim that popular culture kills writing by explaining the ways it helps it instead. The text is slightly scholarly and uses ethos by providing examples to support the authorā€™s point. The purpose of the text is to inform those who either believe the idea that popular culture kills writing or those who are less educated on the topic. The author states that ā€œStudents learn a tremendous amount about rhetoric and communication from their engagement

with popular culture, most notably about rhetorical concepts such as genre, audience, and style.ā€ Here, the author is supporting their disagreement with the statement by expelling the ways popular culture benefits writing. I agree with the authorā€™s take because of the evidence and many examples that were provided to prove the statement wrong. 

5. Giselle Tlapechco

I honestly found it interesting how there are many types of literature, and how generations have evolved. It’s interesting how my generation is viewed as illiterate based on emails and typos but in reality my generation is not learning enough challenging skills.  

The text is about the relationship students have with literature and how people believe that the generation of students have become illiterate. The author argues that students are actually clever and creative by their popular culture. 

The genre is an argumentative essay and it has a convincing tone. 

The intended audience are adults that look down on popular culture. 

The purpose is to show a different perspective of popular culture and how some students may benefit from it. 

Some people argue that popular culture is killing writing, explain their argument. The text mentions how popular culture has caused for student to be naive because of the amount of comics and tv they consume.(Williams,pg1) Mentions how media consumption prevents critical thinking. 

The author disagrees with the argument that popular culture is killing writing. What proof does the author provide that in fact, popular culture is not only killing writing but helps student writing. Provide 1-2 examples.

Do you agree or disagree with the authorā€™s argument? Explain! If you feel like it, use examples of your writing to support your argument.

The author Williams mentions how students willingly spend time on texts they are interested in which helps them because they not only practice but have their own way of understanding the topic. I agree with the author’s argument because many students have their own way of learning and it’s important for students to know how they are able to receive information. Making learning convenient for them.

6. Miguel

I like this piece, and he’s interesting because he taught me the difference between our generation and other generation.

This is mostly about how  popular culture influences writing. The author gives two different opinions, some experts think that popular culture reduces children’s writing ability, they think people nowadays are more addicted to games, movies and novels instead of books with knowledge. And the author feels that popular culture help increase to writing.

I think the genre of this text is research paper and the tone is formal.

I think the intended audience of this text are the people that said popular culture is killing writing and the purpose of this text is to correct those people who think popular culture is killing writing because the fact is that popular culture has increase writing.

In the quote ā€œStudents who read too many comics, watch too much television, or play too many digital games, according to this narrative, will produce naıĢˆve, emotional writing that is riddled with errors. Curiously, however, literacy has not disappeared in the years since Hill developed the foundational first-year writing course at Harvard, to combat the poor writing he attributed in part to popu- lar cultureā€. Hill initially thought that popular culture would affect literacy and students would write emotional things, but it didn’t.

I agree with the author’s idea that popular culture helps people to write in today’s world.

7. Genesis Zavala

I found this text interesting the author disagrees with some things and explained and others may think different.And explains how popular culture effects young people.popular culture has may different genres and choosing different one can be confusing. And talks about how it’s ruining us. The genre is formative.The audience is for people in school.The purpose is telling us that popular culture is bad for young people. People think popular culture is killing us and I disagree because it teaches us a lot of things tat school hasn’t taught us

8. Yudenys Cepeda

I found this text interesting, it argues that pop culture isn’t killing writing. Theres many different generations of pop culture and todays writing culture is more involved on social media and casts. The author argues that the rate of literacy is actually increasing. Theres many different pop cultures on writing but todays generations pop culture is also affective. This text is a research paper with the tone of informative. I believe the purpose of this text is to inform young people or the general public about todays writing. He argues and disagrees with the claim ” Pop culture is killing writing”. Some people argue that popular culture is killing writing. They tend to argue that the media, entertainment t isn’t a valuable source of writing. They argue todays generational pop culture isn’t as reliable. One proof the author provides upon pop culture not killing culture is the statistics on the U.S with the increased rate of literature. I agree with the author, I do believe pop culture isn’t killing writing, in fact I believe its embracing it in better ways that can ready more audience.

9. Chandi

I liked this text because the author showed both sides of the argument not just the side he agreed with. The text is mostly about how popular isnā€™t killing writing and why people think it is. It also mentions how it can improve people are less likely to make mistakes in their writing and how it improves writing skills. The genre is an argument essay. The intended audience is teachers/ proffers, they can see that incorporating popular culture text into papers will be beneficial. I think popular culture isnā€™t killing writing because since itā€™s more interesting, the writer would put all there efforts into the writing because they are interested in the topic. I agree with the authors argument because just because he mentions that people are willing to put time into popular culture text rather than an academic topic text. 

10. Dillon.D

I honestly found it interesting that the author referred to the influence of popular cultureā€™s influence today and wrote from the perspective of the younger generation. 

This text is mostly about the author trying to emphasize the fact that instead of the idea that pop culture is killing writing, when in fact it does the opposite. 

The genre of this text is an argumentative essay and it gives off a convincing tone.

The intended audience are young, specifically high school and college students.

The purpose of the text is to inform those who know that popular culture is not negatively affecting peopleā€™s literacy level and is in fact helping them in many ways.

People may argue that popular culture is bad because ā€œStudents who read too many comics, watch too much television, or play too many digital games, according to this narrative, will produce naıĢˆve, emotional writing that is riddled with errors.ā€ (ā€œPopular Culture Is Killing Writingā€ by Bronwyn T. Williams.)

ā€œPeople who think all computer games are mindless and donā€™t require thought havenā€™t played the range of games I see students playing, which requires diligence, creativity, and learning to completeā€. (ā€œPopular Culture Is Killing Writingā€ by Bronwyn T. Williams.)

I agree with the author’s argument because students should know there are many ways to gain knowledge. Students should gain information the way that works best for them.

11. Muhammad Khalid

This piece by Bronwyn T. Williams was very informing and easy to read. The author shared many point of views on popular culture.

He mostly expressed his thoughts on popular culture. How its not degrading writing. He speaks about the outcomes of popular culture and how it has an affect on student learning.

The genre of this text is a research paper while the tone is formal.

The intended audience for this piece would be students who believe in popular culture.

The purpose of this piece is to bring awareness to those who are misinformed on popular culture.

They believe comics and too much television would cause emotional writing full of errors but it turned out to be false.

The author expresses the fact, students learn a lot about rhetorical concepts such as genre & popular culture can help improve the writing of students to prove his claims of popular culture being more of a positive than a negative for writing.

I agree with the author, there are more positives than negatives when it comes to popular culture.