Donald Murray: All Writing Is Autobiography Reading Response

Donald Murray expresses how he believes that all types of writing are an autobiography that bases off of our childhood, which lets us relive that part of our life.

Our personal experiences in life are unique to us since we individually interpret each moment in different ways, this affects the way we write and express ourselves, allowing us to create our reality through specific details we illustrate that form our autobiography. All writing is autobiographical since we write from our own perspective and emotions, which cannot be replicated by someone else, only understood or appreciated.

Murray taught me how to view writing differently, and introduced me to personalizing your writing to help you while maintaining the factual element. These techniques allow the reader to relate, or feel inspired by the author.

To challenge Murray’s thesis, all writing is not always written from our own perspective, and some pieces are also multi-narrative.

When writing essays in high school I often used my point of view to relate to the author, and conveyed my thoughts to either support or counter the author’s perspective.

1. Millarny Wyatt Gomez

Donald Murray strategies for writing are simply writing with experiences, emotions, or bending the truth. What makes autobiographical writing is not only learning from what you write but reflecting on the experience at hand. I have a very similar writing style compared to this. I don’t have an exact schedule to particularly tell me when to write. But I use my journal based on emotions. In other words without an experience or being within an emotional state my writing would be pretty much meaningless. This goes hand and hand with the purpose of Murray’s purpose for stating “all reading is autobiographical”. As a growing writer it is best to master being able to write what you feel or recalling a memory and stating the significance of it because of how it made you feel. Lastly I strongly agree with the point of Murray and find writing with autobiographical aspects improves pieces and, also helps creates an image of a writer.

• Rebekah Coleman

Millarny, I love how much you connect with the Murray piece as a writer. I found the examples you provided so interesting. I also really liked how you provided personal experiences about your writing/ writing process. I think it really helps support your argument! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on why all writing is autobiographical in class!

2. Rebekah Coleman

Dear Claudia, I really like how you explain Murray’s point of view and then challenge it. You also provide some evidence! I also love how you shared that Murry changed the way you think or see writing “Murray taught me how to view writing differently, and introduced me to personalizing your writing to help you while maintaining the factual element.” Our goal this semester is to use these different authors to help us find inspiration. I would love it if you could discuss this more with our class during our next discussion!