Nimesh R. HW#2 Civil War Diet

What I find fascinating about a Civil War soldier’s diet is the hardtack that they ate. What I find even more fascinating is that people still make it to this day and try to eat it and by the looks of the reactions I’m guessing it’s still as hard to eat. I watched a video where this person left the hardtack in a cup of hot tea for over 10 minutes and he was still having trouble cutting it. But it’s fascinating how quickly this product could be made by just water, flower, and salt and how convenient it was. It could last for such a long time; I’ve never seen anything like hardtack that could last 150 years.

If I had to choose between food and coffee, I would pick food because the food is more essential. But that’s my opinion, back in the Civil War, it seems like there might be some who would pick coffee over food.  One food I cannot live without is any type of chicken and rice. I’ve basically grown up eating it my whole life and I’ve never gotten tired of it plus it has all the nutrient one needs.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Nimesh R. HW#2 Civil War Diet

1. Christine says:

I also like chicken and rice. I agree with you that food is more essential towards our diet. Especially healthy foods. I am not rally a coffee fan to begin with so thats why I would rather food over coffee. That plate of chicken and rice looks really good.

2. Abdul Mian says:

I do agree with your opinion about the food vs coffee. I believe food will help us more in a situation like civil war. It’s going to keep us healthy and fit. By the way, I like your picture, I’m also a fan of chicken and rice!