HW 1: Photography, Selfies, and Cindy Sherman

This generation is very odd but interesting photo-wise. The adolescences in this generation seem to really want to acclimate and disguise themselves to reach an expectation to society. Changing their images, attitudes, and getting connected to social media on a daily basis. Whenever I open the Instagram app, I’ve observed that young adult females even younger often preferably like to show more skin than usual to get the most amount likes and followers as possible. For the one and only reason to just be known and reach the title of being called “Instagram famous”. To follow up what Cindy Sherman mentioned about selfies, the developers of the Snapchat app has introduced it’s “face filters” a few years back. The face filters have become a huge launch to the app and used among adolescences. But the minority of those adolescences are also the ones insecure of their appearance. Basically they can pick among different filters and apply the most “beauty enhanced” one digitally and conceal their bare face and come out and post a whole different outcome. I disagree with this whole misconception because everyone has their type of charisma inside and out. No one should be in denial in their own skin. As I read Cindy Sherman’s article and observed her selfies, she does the compete opposite which I found unique. In each selfie she uploads on to Instagram, she changes her images to look almost into a horrific and fictionalized figure. Generalizing that people should be grateful for what they are and look like and not filter themselves.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.