Homework #2

Leocardie Delva

Professor Cheng

Homework #2 Food & Coffee in the Civil War

Being that I’m not a coffee drinker I never understood the excitement for it. So if I had to choose I would give that up in an instant. Food is like my best friend, and I would never give that up. I’m more of a tea person anyways.

I understand the need for the caffeine, and energy but never thought of it as a necessity. Reading the article, and watching the video has changed my perspective, on how important coffee actually is (still won’t drink it). To the soldiers coffee was as important as the reasons they were fighting the war. It kept them going, and gave them energy when they felt weak. Coffee gave them that at home feeling, and warmth that they couldn’t really get since they were away from home. Being that coffee was so limited in the south due to the Union’s blockage, they started to settle for coffee substitutes. I can’t imagine how that must’ve tasted. The one thing that I found fascinating, was that without their “delicious cups of black” the Confederate soldiers felt a loss of spirits, and began smuggling it. They even considered it a weapon because, the generals would wait until the soldiers were highly caffeinated then they would attack.

It’s very hard for me to choose just one of my favorite things to eat. So my top 3 is burgers, bread, and pasta. Those are the 3 absolute things I cannot live without, Trust me I’ve tried. My favorite pasta is Rasta Shrimp pasta, My favorite burgers are from Sonic, & Five Guys, and bread from pretty much anywhere.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Homework #2

1. gperez says:

I agree with you on your comment that coffee gave the soldiers that “at home feeling.” It is amazing how a feeling of familiarity in a difficult time can provide the motivation to overcome seemingly impossible situation. I like that you articulated the fact that coffee was essentially used as a “weapon” and that the opposing sides would plan their attacks around this perceived vulnerability of being under caffeinated.

Also, fantastic food choices! I can see why it is hard to choose between the 3.