M(͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)- Thoughts on Photography, Selfies, and Cindy Sherman.

Social media is a canvas and the users are the brush. Using any platform on social media, users can create, share and see different ideas that many people in the world have to offer. Focusing on Instagram, many of it’s users take what is known as a selfie. Selfies can be seen as a form of expression but in the past, it was a picture that had a deeper meaning. In present times, selfies are taken casually in order to attract and are edited to garner attention. Addiction to the spotlight is a key factor in why social media platforms like Instagram is so popular. People want others to like and comment on their pictures for attention and a little fame. This is not true for everyone, but I believe it is the original purpose for social media, that is why there is usually a like button and comment section. People love attention.  This is why Cindy Sherman’s Instagram posts are so interesting and peculiar. She takes selfies that are heavily edited but not in the way that you would think. Her niche is the distortion of her face in a way that is captivating and eye catching to the audience. It is different from the rest. I do not hate social media platforms, I have my own accounts and share similar interests and pictures like many other people. I admit that I have taken pictures and edited to make it more appealing but never to deceive my viewers. Photography and art go hand in hand but have changed over time and will continue to do so. Just like an artist with a brush and a canvas to work on, social media is what we make of it and the ideas we create and share.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.