M. Brown | COMD1127 - HD39 | Fall 2021

Type Talk – History of Type

Comment Below

• What was one fact you found most Interesting and why

Due

Comment due posted day before class session 11:30 PM

1. Keron Harris

One of the thing that I found to be fascinating about The History of Type is how it evolved over time and ever stays the same for too long. However, in away we just modernize it for example, Hieroglyphics that uses images to tell a story to how we use emoji to do the same. With that said the way that they use to right the wrote on stone and clay, move to wax tables, then rolling the papyrus and use a cover to form some kind of book, to Bartman, the moving on to the pretend press using typeface. Moreover, the different typeface they are. Starting off with the roman then improving that technique and quality to more a delicate design. Changing typography to fit with the new age Technology, 20th century with printing press, later 20th to early 21st century with the invention of computer and change the typeface once again so it easier to read.

what I mean by this

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thanks for your reply. That is a good comparison of the current day emoji.

2. Tyristan Murphy

The video going over the history of type was interesting yet also very informative. One piece of information that stood out to me was the inventor of moveable character printing, Gutenberg the Silversmith. This fascinated me because I love. stationary a lot, and within stationary are stamps of all kinds; one of them being removable letters that you can piece together to make words/ sentences on paper with ink. Handwriting things are a hassle sometimes, and using reusable character printing stamps are a great way to cut down the time of hand writing things.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thank you for your answer. Interesting thoughts on moveable type and stamps.

3. eddie Levi Monarch

This was a great introduction to typography, It was fascinating to see how communicating through text has evolved, and how factors due to technological advancement has contributed to typography!

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thank you for your answer. Typography has come a long way.

4. John Gregorios

Going through “Type Talk – History of Type” my appreciation of the evolution of typography has intensified. One fact that I most interesting is definitely that even though typography has branched into the digital age, we can still see appreciation of the beauty of the old ways of writing in the fonts we use. Moreover, we still use the same typography that has been used way back in history.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thank you for your answer. It is amazing that we are still using some of the same fonts from many years ago.

5. Tamaric Hyppolite

One thing I find interesting about the “History of Type” is how no matter what period of time we always find a a efficient way to get typography out into the world. It also makes me realize how Important type can be for designs, because it can really help catch someones eye depending on the font you use. Or help bring out the best in a design.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thanks for your answer. Knowing the history of type can help in design.

6. Layla_Flores

It was interesting to find out the origin of typography and how it was used in the past. Now there are companies that are known due to the different typography they used in their logo such as Google. I like how it has evolved and we were able to change it to be more expressive.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thank you for your answer. Many companies like Google modify fonts or create their own to represent their company brand.

7. Marlon

One fact I found interesting is the growth of typography how it started from Egyptian’s writing on a stone then to paper, laptop and now it’s everywhere you go you can see it on public buses to Billboard to your phone. Very Interesting seeing something started so small and know it’s even a class in college all on type and media

8. Marlon Smith

One fact I found Interesting is the growth of typography how it started from the Egyptian writing on a rock to it evolving to paper then on the computer and now it’s everywhere to the public buses, Billboard, phone and now it’s even a class in college

9. Andre Sadhu

I found the overall evolution of typography fascinating. From the origin as ancient writing on stone to use of ink in newspapers, billboards, etc. to the countless types used in the internet for computers and cell phones. It really grew easier and expanded.

10. Andre Sadhu