Instruction Manual Analysis

After analyzing both instruction manuals I noticed they are very simple with just the recipe, steps, and no pictures. The visual content and text were tended for people who have experience in the kitchen. For example, the language they used “Add a quarter of an onion, the clove of garlic, laurel, oregano and salt, bring to a boil”, is too broad and not informative. It doesn’t tell the audience how much they need to cut of each ingredient or how much salt they need to add. Someone who doesn’t have experience in the kitchen might have trouble accomplishing this task. One of the manuals told the audience to roast the tomatoes, onions, and tomatillo in the oven for 400 degrees. This doesn’t specify if they could be roasted together or separately.  For this reason, their steps are too broad leaving a lot of room for error and questioning when attempting to do follow their recipe. As a result, my instruction manual is very explicit and detailed which will allow the audience to be able to accomplish it.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

I also just hate those kinds of recipes that aren’t specific enough. My only question with what you’ve got here is… what are you making?! Sounds delicious, but… Another thing I wonder if whether the website that had the recipes actually said it was for more advanced cooks — that might explain why the instructions aren’t very specific if they think their target audience would know what to do anyway. Just a thought.