Jacquelyn Blain

Imaging

Breast cancer

I work for Maimonides Breast Cancer Center. Being part of a community where every day women and even men get imaging done to detect if they have cancer forming in their breast area.
The “language” that I use within this community is a medical one. For example, I learned how to read reports on what a Bi-Rad means (Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System) to know how each patient’s recent imaging came out. There are several categories of bi-rads.
1) B-0 -patient needs additional images and/or needs to bring in priors
2) B-1 -negative follow up in a year
3) B-2-negative follow up in a year
4) B-3 -Follow up in 3-6 months (usually due to a concern but its nothing serious)
5) B-4, B-4a, B-4b- suspicious and needs to do a Biopsy
6) B-5 -highly suspicious of malignancy and needs to be biopsy
7) B-6 -Known biopsy- proven cancer
As well as submitting “interps” which is a phrase we use to do an interpretation of outside images. I would collect the patients records. Any patient who is being recommended for a biopsy, I would make sure I have all their records before processing to a radiologist. A radiologist is a doctor who reads images. Once the radiologist goes over all the records they will fill out a “WETREAD” form (a verbal paper) indicating if they are agreeing with the outside records or given a different recommendation.
This is the jargon that I learn and use on a daily basis with the community I work with. Bi-Rads and Interps have became a staple of my vocabulary for over several years of working in radiology. At first it didn’t mean anything, just words on a paper and terms I didn’t understand. After a while working and learning from the medical field community it’s very important information to know so that when you are taking care of a patient and either booking appointments or collecting records you know what you’re looking for, how best to help them and how to do my job properly.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

I writing about this community and its jargon would make a wonderful Portrait. Klass’ essay is a good model for this in the sense that it takes us from her earliest introduction to the jargon to why it’s used for medical reasons and as a way of keeping the patient “out” of the loop, etc., to how she finally started feeling once she began to understand it all. You might also write about a specific incident — a story about something that happened during your learning process. That always makes it more interesting for us as an audience to read.

• Lucia

Since this is my daily life routine knowing the information of Bi-rads. I have so many stories with patients, teaching them what the stages of their reports mean. So I know this will be a great educational story.