Jacquelyn Blain

Anlys’ Intro

Hello, my name is Anlys, as you may have guessed from the headline. This class is my third asynchronous class as a Civil Engineering Tech major. Macroeconomics and English 1101 were my first two classes. So First-timers in an asynchronous course should avoid falling behind and procrastinating. An interesting fact about myself for the past four and a half years, I’ve worked as a Production Assistant. It’s a fantastic job, but the hours are insane. I’ve worked on sets for everything from Raising Kanan to Law & Order SVU and a couple of independent films and commercials.

People in society make assumptions about who they think you should be, even if that isn’t always true. Mohamed Hassan draws attention to this incident in his poem (Un)Learning My Name, which depicts his fight between conformity and self-identity.

This poem reminds me of how I was willing to let people butcher my name to be accepted. My name is Anlys, not Analis, Analyst nore Ansli. And I never understood why people were adding vowels where they weren’t. At one point, there was a person who, for some reason, kept calling me Endless.

I chose this image because of the quote. This phrase has resonated with me ever since I first heard it. It’s as captivating as listening to a great song.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

I promise not to call you “Endless” :-D. That’s a great quote — it should remind us not to just sit but to engage. I spent quite a lot of years on a set, and the PAs work really hard! It’s a good way into the business, but it’s a lot of work, as you saw. And finally, you have great advice for first-time asynch students!