Untitled document

Quote 1 -“And then I realized why. It’s because the 20 years we’ve been together I’ve often used the same kind of English with him, and sometimes he even uses it with me. It’s become our language of intimacy.” pg 1

Quote 2 -“But to me my mother’s english is perfectly clear, perfectly natural. It’s my mother tongue” pg 1    

Quote 3- “But they seem just as bad, as if everything is limited, including people’s perception of the limited english speaker.” pg 2

Quote 4 -“and this makes me think that there are other Asian-American students whose English spoken in the home might also be described as ‘”broken”’ or ‘”limited”’.”

Response to quote 1-This is where the author first introduces the concept of different Englishes, and describes how it can be used with different people regardless of their education level.

Response to quote 2 -A very interesting statement. It’s cool that people can adjust and learn to understand people in different and effective ways. I’ve had similar experiences.         

Response to quote3 -I found this interesting because I’ve seen firsthand how true this is. People are biased and assume someone’s level of intelligence based on a language that isn’t their first. Many have received disrespect and experienced hardships because of their “broken” English.

Response to quote4 -Once again I found interest in this quote because it relates directly to me. I’ve lived with many different family members, all being immigrants. Most of them have broken english and I know that many feel embarrassment because of this. I have felt this way too.