Poetry In Motion

author- Jean Valentine

Poetry In Motion                                 

The title of the poem I have chosen is “My Words To You” by Jean Valentine, I found this poem on the 6 line. I have seen this Poem many times before, every time I would see it I would read it and try to understand it. This Blog Post gives me the opportunity to go more in depth and really get a better understanding of this poem. My initial reaction to reading this poem, was the speaker holding on to a loved one and spending more time with them. In line 1 to 3 “My words to you are the stitches in a scarf “/ I don’t want to finish/ maybe it will come to be a blanket”. I think that the speaker wants more time with their loved one, because comparing a scarf to a blanket, a scarf is smaller and takes less time to make. Stitching that blanket together symbolizes the speaker wanting time to say more and spend more time with their loved one.
The two themes I can take from this poem are love and time, Time because the speaker wants to spend more time with their loved ones, they don’t want the words to finish because then time is up. Love because they want to hold there love one and not lose them. I do think this poem is accessible for general readers because there are many different ways to decode this poem because it is short and straight to the point. The image next to the poem is a design of many different flowers within each other, it is very abstract. What does this image represent ? Why do the words have to end?, those are two questions that have been picking my mind.

2 thoughts on “Poetry In Motion

1. Kiaramoore

The art work to you poem is very colorful like of reminds me of a quilt or something you would see in a maze or made on some kind of bedding. The poem sounds like it is directed at someone or trying to get someones attention. I agree that one of the themes are definitely love because the speaker is saying that basically what there are a lot of unsaid words what he wishes were said .The speaker sounds like he would want more time with whoever the loved one is and wish he had that time. At the end when he says “Love not gone anywhere” ( Line 5), sounds like nothing came of the love he was trying to give the loved one or it could be the complete opposite.

2. Alexis Jusino

I myself wrote about the same poem and I believe the answers to your questions are that the image is supposed to represent a warming feeling because you can tell the colors aren’t so cold. The poem ideally is about someone loving another person. I believe the ending of the poem during line 5 says: “love not gone anywhere” which personally means that the speaker is trying to say her love is unconditional and always will be. “My words to you are the stitches in a scarf / I don’t want to finish / maybe it will come to be a blanket / to hold you here” (line 1-4). This is saying that the speakers love is the stitches in the scarf it keeps them together. However, the speaking is willing to keep that love growing and make it into something much more in my opinion. Overall, I really liked your analysis on the poem.