g singh: robert capa’s death of a loyalist soldier

Robert Capa’s death of a loyal soldier has sparked a lot of controversy and is recognized as the greatest war photograph of all time. However, the photograph has been surrounded by the idea that it may be staged. At first looking at the photograph I thought it did not look right because of the way the person was holding the gun. Robert Whelan’s arguments seem very convincing as he is showing the evidence to prove that the photograph is genuine and includes testimonies of people who were with Capa when he was taking photos. He also could locate exactly the location where Robert Capa had taken the photograph. One can argue both ways on the authenticity of the photograph. I think Capa’s photograph looks staged because of the way the person’s body is positioned and the way he is holding the gun. I feel like he would not extend his arm out after being shot but instead have his arm and gun close to him as he falls. Also to me the hill does not appear steep enough to make his knees bend in that fashion after getting shot. I think the authenticity does matter so people can know the truth about the photograph. But in the end, it’s the authenticity of the photo that makes people talk about it and made many label it as the greatest war photograph.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.