Overview: Welcome to the Fall of 2023

• We meet every Tuesday & Thursday – IN PERSON!
  • Morning Section is from 8:30-11:25
  • Afternoon Section is from 2:30-5:25
  • We will be using the entire class time and a lot of work will be done during this time and outside of class. 
  • This course is taught by Prof. Paul King (pking @CityTech.Cuny.Edu).  My office hours will be the hour directly after my morning class (11:30-12:30) both Tuesday & Thursday or by appointment. 

Quick Checklist: To do items before the first day of class: (see below for details)

• [1] Media Release
  • [2] Selfie Photo
    • Have a photo of yourself ready for class.  You will be placing this on your titleblock. It needs to be a closeup with your face clearly visible. 
    • Upload your selfie to dropbox (see below)
  • [3] Join MIRO (its free) – and claim your board
  • [4] Join our class OpenLab Site
  • [5a] Install Revit and Revit Families & have a PDF printer
  • [5b] If you have an Apple Computer you will need to access Revit using Aporto (follow link)
  • [6] Read the Scavenger Hunt Assignment Description
  • [7] Use of Blackboard for this class
  • [9] Questions
  • Be well rested and enthusiatic!!!!

[0.AM] Morning Section 8:30-11:25 – links to upload & tasks to complete

1. DOWNLOAD YOUR MEDIA RELEASE FORM (StudentLastname.FirstName King-BT3-FA.AM-Media-Release)
  2. UPLOAD YOUR MEDIA RELEASE FORMS HERE – BOTH SECTIONS (https://www.dropbox.com/request/TnEpDb0DuovfNhtBoeLe)
  3. MORNING SECTION – UPLOAD YOUR SELFIE          (https://www.dropbox.com/request/7WIn0VzL8C5R3Z0gRHZZ)
  4. Morning Class MIRO BOARDLink to Scavenger Hunt MIRO Board
  5. Join this OpenLab Class Page https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/groups/arch2431-bt3-fa23/

[0.PM] Afternoon Section 2:30-5:25 – links to upload & tasks to complete

1. DOWNLOAD YOUR MEDIA RELEASE FORM (StudentLastname.FirstName King-BT3-FA.PM-Media-Release)
  3. AFTERNOON SECTION – UPLOAD YOUR SELFIE    (https://www.dropbox.com/request/46x0UQ0pAvLTmuB1beIF)
  4. Afternoon Class MIRO BOARDLink to Scavenger Hunt MIRO Board

[1] Return your media release form so Videos can be posted

• While our class sessions are in person, I use zoom to make recordings during class.
    • Download, Sign & upload (see above) the Media Release Form (select the correct one for your section (morning or afternoon)
      • Be sure to rename the form properly – add your lastname and first name at the start
    • This requires 100% compliance or the videos cannot be posted – as vidoes may contain recording of your voices as you ask questions.
    • We record class meetings so you can reference the videos.
      • Recordings will help you complete your assignments as I demonstrate the use of software.
      • Recodings will help you review your pinup review for assignments.
    • I will let you know when recordings begin & end.
    • If you login to zoom Zoom profile must display your name so I can identify each of you.
    • Vidoes are only shared on OpenLab for the use of our class or other students at CityTech.

[2] Send me a selfie

• Have a photo of yourself ready for class.  You will be placing this on your titleblock.
    • It needs to be a closeup with your face clearly visible. 
    • Upload  your selfie to dropbox! (see above)

[3] Create your MIRO Account (to work with our class boards)

• A new posting in MIRO is due for every class!
  • Join MIRO – it’s free  www.miro.com
  • Make sure you register using your citytech email address as I will send invites to this address.
  • Miro: Follow this link to Signup for your Free account
  • The MIRO account is free. Having an account gives you full rights to the tools  in our Zoom boards.
  • Follow the links above for our first class MIRO board
    • Claim a board by putting your name on it
    • You may find you need to request access.
  • The assignment desription is in the MIRO Board on the left side – Read it in advance of the first day – or follow  this link to a pdf.

[4] OpenLab : will be my primary means of keeping you up to date. 

• Using Openlab
    • I will post after every class with screen captures from my markups.
    • I will post links to zoom videos from class meetings here. (password protected)
    • I will post clarifications of current assignments and deadlines as needed.
    • I will post answers to student questions.
  • Join our class course
    • If you already know how to join a course – Login and follow the link above.
    • I typically send an invitation to everyone from OpenLab
    • If you need help –  login to your OpenLab account and follow these instructions to join this course.
    • If you’re new to the OpenLab, follow these instructions to create an account and then join the course.
    • Remember that your username and display name can be pseudonyms, rather than your real name. Your avatar does not need to be a picture of your face–just something that identifies you on the OpenLab.

[5] Install Revit Software & a PDF printer

• Do this in advance of the first class.  The Revit installation and download is large and can take quite some time.
    • There are two download and installations required, one for the Revit Software and a second for the Family Libraries
    • (Go to Revit Download Info)
  • It can take some time to install – you must be ready by the first day of class.
  • If you cannot run Revit (MAC users & others) email me directly in advance and we will look to set you up for remote VDI access to run the software.
  • Download and Open the Revit starter file for the first assingment – (link to starter file)
    • Save a copy as follows:  Lastname.Firstname Scavenger Hunt BT3.FA23.King.rvt
  • You will need a PDF printer. 

[6] Read the scavenger hunt assignment before class

[7] Use of Blackboard

• We use blackboard to collect your final archives for assignments.
  • While in MIRO you typically post separate PDF’s for each image – for Blackboard uploads of your work will need to be compiled into a single multi-page PDF. 
  • I will provide directions on file naming and for all Revit based work you must upload both your Revit file and your single PDF.
  • I will also use Blackboard to post your grades for each assignment.

[8] Questions

• If you have any questions, reach out via email or in Office Hours. If you need help with the OpenLab, you can consult OpenLab Help or contact the OpenLab Community Team.
  • Email address:  Pking@CityTech.Cuny.Edu   or    Prof.Paul.King@Gmail.com
  • Office Hours:  Tuesday/Thursdays directly after class or by appointment (email me)

I look forward to working with you –   Professor King