Class Info

• Date: 9/9-9/16
  • Meeting Info: All of our meetings will be asynchronous, meaning you will do your work throughout the week on your own time. Our weeks will begin on Wednesdays. Work will be due on Wednesdays and at other points during the week as noted in the weekly agenda, usually with Monday morning as a deadline to join a discussion so we all have time to respond to each other. Optional synchronous meetings will be available, as well as office hours, which are opportunities to meet synchronously with me individually or in a small group. If time permits, I will visit your ARCH 1101 meeting to use a portion for ENG 1101.
  • This week, I will hold a synchronous session during the last portion of the ARCH 1101 class period, Wednesday, 9/9, 10:20-11:20am. Join the synchronous meeting hour via Google Meet. You don’t need to be signed in to Google to join.

To-Do Before Class

For the start of Week 3, be sure to have completed the work assigned in the ENG 1101 Week 2 Agenda and the ENG 1101 Week 1 Agenda, most importantly:

Topic

ENG 1101 Project #1: Education Narrative

Objectives

• To consider and discuss aspects of education and educational experiences through the lens of writing

To-Do This Week

I hope you’re getting used to the fully asynchronous class. I shared some comments and intent to add more throughout the week rather than at the end of the week, but I didn’t want to scare anyone away from sharing ideas. This week, we will focus our collaborative environment on developing our education narratives. If the agenda looks like a lot, we can talk about that. I want to make sure you’re set up with examples and models and more theoretical writing, and with questions to consider as you’re reading so you can write and share your thoughts and brilliance. Again, I’m not imposing incremental deadlines throughout the week except to say that it’s helpful to share your work by Monday so you can come back and comment on your classmates’ contributions before Wednesday.

Actions

• Participate in discussion about questions we want to answer about our education, synchronously 9/9 10:20-11:20, or asynchronously.
  • Review the instructions for ENG 1101 Project #1: Education Narrative

Reading

• and another one that might help us understand it better:

Writing

Try freewriting again. 10 minutes. Write about what’s on your mind, or focus on the topic of your education–past, present, future, whatever works for you.

Add to our Allegory of the Cave discussion (sorry to have been late with the link!) by adding comment. Respond to each of the following bullet points in its own paragraph:

• Consider the different roles people are playing in the story. Are there those who could be described as “students” and those who could be described as “teachers”? How so? In general, what traits differentiate students from teachers? Can you make a case for being able to see some of the people in the “Allegory of the Cave” as playing both the role of teacher and student?
  • Write a paragraph discussing what you believe the purpose of education to be. In making your case, you may address any or all levels of education. You might also compare or contrast your ideas with those of Plato.
  • What metaphors does Plato use to describe education and knowledge? Are these new, or have you already encountered them elsewhere? What do you think about these metaphors for education and knowledge?
  • If you read my comment about Paolo Freire’s distinction in Pedagogy of the Oppressed, especially Chapter 2, between the banking model and problem-posing education, reflect on how this relates to Plato for you.

Contribute to our discussion of disciplinary education (again, sorry for the delayed link!) after you read Michael Caton’s, “Architecture Needs a Culture Shift and “Ksenya Samarskaya’s, “Nontsikelelo Mutiti on Interrogating the Euro-centric Design Canon.” In your comment, please reflect on:

• What stands out in each of these texts? Choose a passage from each to include in your comment.
  • Are these texts education narratives? why/how or not?
  • Is there anything in these texts that you read as a writer and would want to use as a model to describe your own education experiences?

Follow instructions in the Project #1 instructions to begin pre-writing and drafting your education narrative.