Stem Page 3

S21

Hello! My name is Modhumita Dey and I am a junior in the Computer Engineering Technology Department. I am excited to tell you about my ESP research project. The title of my project is Hardware and Software Co-design of Assistive Technology In the Computer Engineering Technology program, students learn how to combine computer hardware and software to make devices to solve real life problems. In this research project Math, Physics, Computer Hardware, Computer Software knowledge is used to develop a computer based device for Assistive Technology application. Assistive Technology (AT) refers to the use of technology to assist people with physical or learning disabilities

S22

Teaching coding is a major pedagogical goal in our society as technology is used in so many aspects of our life. There are a couple of common approaches being used in introductory coding classes. We believe these approaches are not focusing on developing the computational thinking required but rather just knowledge of a programming language. Professor Moody has developed a platform to focus on teaching programming logic vs programming language syntax. Our project simulates the coding process by translating a recipe and using 3 different platforms to actually enter and execute the coding instruction. Our initial findings show that our experiment allows participants to focus on UIX versus the logic component. We look to take our results and further improve our experiment to also test computational thinking.

S23

My research was on the advantages of AMP-Accelerated Mobile Pages. Which is a google originated (in 2015) technology, mainly to improve mobile web page performances and quality of experience (QoE). To understand the smooth load near instantaneously we dig deep into the basic programmable code of it, where its major components are AMP-HTML, AMP-JS and AMP Cache (CDN). How AMP works is that it pops up related AMP adds using AMP cache and its interactable, high quality and loads instantly. Myriad number research has shown that developers and other businesses that have adopted AMP have seen a massive growth in daily traffic and sales. Thus, implementing AMP is such a way that its available to most businesses and other content creators so they could benefit the most out of it.

S24

S25

S26

S27

S28

S29

The purpose of this project was to investigate the structure and function of TTHERM 00287920, a member of the T. thermophila family, using computational techniques. TTHERM 00287920 was chosen, and a Blastp search was performed using NCBI BLAST to determine which human calpains TTHERM 00287920 was most similar to. A graphic representation of the blast protein sequence was also useful in determining whether human calpains are unrelated to TTHERM 00287920. MUSCLE, MAFFT, T-COFFE, and MEGA were used to analyze the similarity between the selected proteins using multiple sequence alignment techniques.This is a continuing study, and more pictures can be done to show why Calpain-7 and Calpain-15 are related to TTHERM 00287920. The overall goal of this study was to figure out which human calpain has the closest relationship to TTHERM 00287920.

S30

“You Are Prepared” is an interactive browser-based experience exploring the similarities between human and machine self-optimization. This research phase focuses on video and image content for the project. My video research includes finding examples of people implanting technology into their bodies. Image research is being done with Playofrm.io, which implements a generative adversarial network – a machine learning model where two neural networks play a turn-based game with each other to learn about the images. So far, I’ve found that human optimization trends are a call for technological accessibility, and Playform is looking to increase ML accessibility for artists.