HW#3

What’s the meaning of a controversial film? A controversial film is film that is explicit. The content of these kinds of films are meant to shock the audiences. These sought of movies tend to be about sex politics, war and unbelievable violence. The filmmakers are very free with what they have to say as well as show it with no care. An example of a controversial film would be “Kids” directed by Larry Clark in the 1995. I choose this movie because it was a movie that was about teenagers in New York City and talks about HIV/AIDS. This stood out to me for two reasons; 1) I live in NYC and 2) I have a degree in Community Health with a concentration in Health Services Administration and plan on pursuing a higher degree in Public Health. I plan on focusing on the education on the teenagers to young adults. This movie did indeed shock me, the first few minutes on the screen were two teenagers making out and that lend to sex. I can honestly say watching this movie for the few minutes made me uncomfortable. There was no waring of what to expect. The language was “too much” for the first few minutes. I would have to say I can understand why people would feel uncomfortable to watch controversial films due to the fact that one will not know what to expect and there is no warning of what to expect from the beginning. This movie consists of sex, bad language, alcohol and drugs. This movie opened up my eyes a lot, I was able to learn a few things from this movie and it was a breath of fresh air other than reading from textbooks.

1 thought on “HW#3”

1. Sometimes explicit movies open your eyes in ways where you have to ask yourself, “is the explicit content in the movie worse than the message it’s trying to convey?” There is a shock factor in controversial films that are meant to have an immense impact on the viewer, and when they hit close to home in the way that it does for you, being that the movie takes place in New York and that you have a degree in community health, this connection allows the message to absorb better. Albeit controversial films may make you feel uncomfortable, that is an intentional factor the creators of movies like this include so that you can examine within yourself what is it exactly that’s making you uncomfortable, why it does, and whether or not you should be feeling uncomfortable about it. If movies did have a big warning about the controversial factors in it telling you not to watch it, I don’t think that they’d provide that big shock factor that make them so controversial. Lastly, these controversial movies hit you with facts that nobody sits down to tell you, but I think that’s the main point, to convey a message that some people are too afraid to talk about.