Blog #3 Culture in Faculty Commons & First Project

Since the pandemic is still going on, our workspace is at home. We meet each other once a week to talk about our current project. I dressed business casual during our Zoom meeting because all of us would turn on our cameras to show respect to each other. 

As design interns, we provided our availability schedule to our supervisor and she will try her best to arrange our weekly meeting. During our work day, we will email our clients or schedule a zoom meeting with our clients to talk about the assigned projects. Normally, we will have a one hour lunch break. My group members have a discord group chat to communicate with each other, we share information and help each other.

This week I was assigned to update the Research Mixer Poster. I received the old version of the poster from my mentor, Savonne and my client Professor Norouzi also provided the updated information. I used inDesign to update the poster and then I scheduled a zoom meeting with Professor Norouzi, Savonne also joined us. The meeting went well, and Professor Norouzi was nice and helped me go through the updated information in the poster.

After I updated the poster, I received an email from Professor Blake, I realized it was an email that Professor Blake sent to student about the event and the poster that I updated was also included in the email. The poster is now posted in their openlab site (Research Mixer openlab site)

Updated Poster

What I learned this week:

This week I learned that detail is the evil. I heard this phrase so many time in class COMD 3601 from Prof. Cole, and I could met her requirement in terms of leading, point size, and file types etc. In class, we always have opportunity to ask professor or revise, working as an intern is different because we are facing real clients. Even though this project is just to update the information in the poster, I did everything carefully. I had to change the point size because the information changed. I also made sure the credit at the bottom was correct because the member list changed as well.