After reading “Maybe i could save myself by writing” by Jose
Olivarez and”The fourth of July” by Audre Lorde , I’ve observed several perspectives on education. From what i have seen so far i think the “ingredients” of the education narrative genre are comprehension, individuality and the skill of being broad minded. The concept of education narrative genre is basically the way somebody perceives their emotional and overall experience through their education. These authors have given the readers an insight on their personal lives and experiences to hopefully create a relatable platform for others to build and expand the way they describe their experiences off of. In both articles Olivarez and Lorde both mention poetry and childhood memories. In “Maybe i could save myself by writing” Olivarez states “I’m telling you this because i wrote a book of poems with one foot in the past,one hand in the present ,and a nose in the future” as read this i thought about how this is the author telling the readers how they’ve decided to begin to develop their education narrative .He is taking bits and pieces of his life past present and what he thinks his future will hold to write his work.He uses poems as an outlet to execute his thoughts. This can relate to “The fourth in July” when Lorde writes, ” My parents wouldn’t speak of this injustice,not because they had contriubted to it,but because they felt they should have anticipated it and avoided it .This mad me even angrier.My fury was not going to be acknowledged by a like fury.” Earlier in the text we are told that the Audre Lorde went on to become a politically active poet.This moment mus have been what struck a fight in her and just like Jose Olivarez,she uses poetry as an outlet and this was her start to her education narrative. I think they mention this information to help the reader understand that they perceive their childhood in the genre of poems.This is how they personally narrate their education.
The best place to get started with my own personal narrative genre
is to look back and find a memory that helps me create my own individual education narrative genre. The first memory that i can think of is when i was a little girl in elementary school and was transitioning from a private catholic school to a public school. it was like i was in a completely different world,thinking everything was so sweet.I sure was in for a rude awakening. The curriculum was completely different and i was the fish out of water. I soon began to realize how oddly the world around me functioned after being completely sheltered for my whole life prior. I was picked on for things out of my control an exposed to things i wish i learned at a far later date. I learned quickly that English was a subject i could truly excel in.I was a fast reader,i understood the text and i could write for hours aimlessly.This bled into middle and high school. I developed a love for writing every detail i was too scared to share with another living soul in a private journal. i wrote and i wrote and i wrote. i wrote out scenarios,short stories,poems,silly songs.I just wrote. It was my way of expressing myself without having to hear any type of feedback on how i felt or what i just wanted to say.I could authentically be me without a care in the world and it was like a breath of fresh air. My moment was struck when i felt judged my everybody around me at such a young age.It influenced me to express myself not through verbal action but with a pencil and piece of paper, i was convinced little ole me could make the world understand me.

The only question i have is do we all get the same feeling when we

feel our individual moment coming on? How do YOU know when its your moment?

All in all everyone comes to a realization at least one point in their life that helps them develop their own personal education narrative genre.