A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

H/W 9/7

“The roots of education is bitter, but the fruit is sweet” Elizabeth Warren; Growing up in elementary school otherwise known as basic or primary school where I grew up was a mixed feeling for me. This incident or I could say changed my thinking about education. In the beginning growing up I loved school, but as I was getting older, I started to hate it, or I just didn’t care. The higher grade I went up each year was just a discouraging experience. Upon ending elementary school, I realized I have actually developed the skill to actually play sports, because I’ve always loved it especially football to be exact, also known as soccer in other countries. I decided that sport will be my dream and chose to take on. Literally football was working out for me in which I was even getting popular. Of course, as a kid, who wouldn’t want to be popular those times? in fact I didn’t know how to manage that really well, so the fame got the best of me. I really thought this was the best thing for me and sooner than anyone would think, I stopped caring about school. I had in mind at that young age that my education, wouldn’t matter anymore.

However, after leaving that school entering high school, my mentality didn’t change an inch more until actually started my senior year of high school. Football was not it, I started to see that even if I chose football, it still good to have an education. In the long run if there should be anything that could go wrong in the opposite direction certainly have an education is something that anyone will not be able to take from you. I really saw that as a motivation, and I did indeed take it as one. In my last two years in high school, education was my main focus, in which it eventually became successful. My last year was the biggest year in which I did excel the most and highest throughout that year. I also ended up being the valedictorian of my graduating class. Ever since then my mind has not changed about education. I do believe it is important even when it gets hard, but in the end if you make it useful then you will be able to see your success and growth, and that’s what gave me motivation to extend my education to the highest level.

1. Annie Wang

Akeem, this is an incredible story – I can see how YOU, as the character, have grown and changed your mind from the beginning to the end. I’m looking forward to you building a robust essay on this topic, with clear structure and compelling details you decide to include. Right now, you’re telling me what you learned and changed your mind about, not showing it to me. Tell me a story! I want to know how you were feeling, where you were when you had certain realizations, what it was like, etc.