A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Homework 9/7

An experience that shaped my view on education happened during the pandemic when we were doing online class. The pandemic hit in the middle of my freshman year of highschool and then continued my entire sophomore year. During the pandemic I really lost the motivation to do my assignments and to even get on zoom and attend class. Seeing people not attend the classes and not participating during class really made me feel like there was no point in getting on the zoom and then I felt lethargic so I didn’t wanna do the classwork on top of that. It made school feel very optional because I could sleep during class or just not log in to zoom and it wouldn’t matter to me. This led me to failing a class for the very first time. While at the time I didn’t feel like doing my classwork, I still cared about my grades which made me feel very helpless because I was torn between feeling like I was failing but also not having the energy to do anything about it.

In the midst of all this, there was one class I didn’t skip or miss my assignments and that was biology. While I was still fairly new to the school and didn’t even know the teacher that was teaching this class, It was still my favorite one because of how entertaining he made the class. Not only did he make the class fun, he made it so that we were learning at the same time. He would make new slide presentations every week which would show what we learning for that week, he made us do kahoot games, we had to do our own slides on a specific animal and someone different would present everyday which would keep the class interesting. He also made us do more activities that were not just online we also had to do stuff with things we had at home. It kept me engaged in the class because we all had to share out and we all learned some new facts and animals we might’ve never heard of. Thanks to my biology teacher, I realized that learning isn’t just taking tests and memorizing boring stuff, it can be informational and fun at the same time. Thanks to this class I could feel a little more motivated to do my work and perservere through my sophomore year.

1. Annie Wang

Mia, the writing in this post is very impressive. I see clear attention to detail, I can follow each beat of the story you are telling, and there is a clear sense of resolution at the end. Great job.

Here are some areas to think about as you write:

• What’s going to “hook” your reader? What’s an exciting, interesting, or attention-grabbing detail that could be good to open with?
    • You are in a great place to start revising. Each word you write takes up valuable real estate. Is each sentence doing something important for the reader? Are there any sentences that aren’t necessary, and can be taken out? Thinking about these questions as you write can also be helpful.

I’m excited to see you start to flesh out these ideas in class today!