A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Homework 9/7

“Do you believe you have a long-lasting impact on the lives of your students? Five, ten, twenty years from now, will your students remember you or experiences from your class? And if so, what do you hope they will remember?” (Robert Brooks, The Impact of Teachers: A Story of Indelible Memories and Self-Esteem).  In middle school I was very outgoing and talkative, always having the answers to questions while frequently asking questions. Although I had this insightful characteristic it was unfortunately cut short. Teachers often saw this as a stunt in other students growth and would often oversee my waving hand. When I started to notice there was a shift in my learning and personality overall, I started to care less about my grades and the bonds I had with present and future teachers. Eight grade rolled around and I was the shy kid in the corner, never making a sound and speechless during conversations, I will always remember this time as one of the most challenging and difficult times in my academic learning. It taught me to shy away from my potential and worst of all it led me to doubting myself.

Once highschool started I was back into my old habits, seated in the back, carefully listening, and figuring things out on my own. Although my freshman and sophomore years were cut short due to the pandemic it sparked an interest in me to change the perception I had of myself, Junior year was about to commence and I had completely reinvented myself. I started to build the bond I had created with my teachers during zoom and they became the pillars with whom I wouldn’t be the person I am today. They held me accountable and had expectations I was willing to fulfill. I started to join clubs and be an overall less quiet person, making friends was a challenge but I’m  grateful that I took it upon myself to find the ones who truly love who I am. My highschool experience was a big contrast to that of my middle school experience. I can say that I learned how teachers truly impact who you are and what you can become. Without Mr. Matelus I wouldn’t have the love I do for math, and the most caring nature of Ms. Sioson taught me how to find myself again and truly believe I am capable of so much more than I can imagine.

1. Annie Wang

Hi Leslie, I’m so happy your high school teachers were able to help you grow into the wonderful person you are today. Learning can be difficult when you don’t feel like your full self is accepted in the classroom.

Here are some comments I had on your writing:

Teachers often saw this as a stunt in other students growth and would often oversee my waving hand. When I started to notice there was a shift in my learning and personality overall, I started to care less about my grades and the bonds I had with present and future teachers. Eight grade rolled around and I was the shy kid in the corner, never making a sound and speechless during conversations, I will always remember this time as one of the most challenging and difficult times in my academic learning.  >> I LOVE the imagery you bring to your writing, Leslie. I can clearly see how you changed from an outgoing student to someone who was shy and checked out. Now, I’m curious to know WHY – what happened? Was there a moment that led you to “start to notice” these changes?

Without Mr. Matelus I wouldn’t have the love I do for math, and the most caring nature of Ms. Sioson taught me how to find myself again and truly believe I am capable of so much more than I can imagine. >> You raise so many interesting points and moments. Again, I want to know, what happened?! What did they do that was so effective? Was there an “a-ha” moment you experienced?

Some food for thought for your next assignment…