Source:

Oppelland, Dorothea. “Religious Conflicts in Families: The Etymology and How to Solve Them?” Marriage.Com, 19 Apr. 2023, www.marriage.com/advice/relationship/religious-conflicts-in-families/.

Summary and representative quotes: 
This specific article gives a personal rundown of religion and specific conflicts that can arise between family members and it also gives a hint of the reasons why religion has helped broken homes.  The author bullet points some of the conflicts like “Children beginning to question the religious practices and beliefs of their parents” (Oppelland, 1). It was one of my personal anecdote points but it didn’t go in-depth as much as I wanted it to. As the passage progressed it gave some examples as to how these specific conflicts can be solved within families to avoid the major conflict which is not being on speaking terms with said family members due to some misunderstandings that can be addressed and talked about.
Reflective and rhetorical analysis
At first glance, I thought that this passage would talk about the hardships of being part of a religion and the toll it takes on familial relationships. Although it didn’t necessarily entail what I was particularly looking for, it did suggest reasons as to why religion could be a direct result of disconnect within families. By listing a few reasons in particular like a different sense of identity or the choice of romantic partner it suggests that this can lead to the overall disagreement within families therefore causing a gap of distrust and dishonesty. I can particularly agree with some of the reasons being listed in this passage about the conflicts that can arise depending on your religious orientation. I can tell that this was more of a personal approach to this topic and not very factual-based.  Due to the genre of this passage, it didn’t give me as much information as I would want to gather, it only made an overall agreement with my thoughts instead of having to prove them right with different facts or even anecdotes from others who have been through these familial conflicts. This passage was pretty straightforward but it still left me with lingering questions like why do these family conflicts arise and why are they almost always related to religion?
Quotables: 
  • “Only you and your family can decide whether what kind of impact religion has on your family’s cohesion and well-being and how you can reduce religious conflict within families, in case of any.”
  • “That’s why parents play the deciding role in faith formation in their children in most cases. In other words, the choice of faith and religious attendance in most families in all cultures is the outcome of intergenerational transmission of religious practices and beliefs from parents to their children.”
  • “Having different views on moral issues where religion has a certain stance. For example, a conflict may occur when a decision of a family member to have an abortion directly contradicts the beliefs of the rest of the family.”
  • “Also, remember that all religions teach us to respect each other and accept the decisions made by other people. If you don’t get over the issues involving religion and conflict, chances are that you’ll lose the emotional support and a chance to continue your relationships with those people, which is an unnecessarily high price to pay.”