A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

9/12

In my 11th grade year, English class with my favorite english teacher Ms.Carr who happens to take her job very seriously. In school there’s a set of rules set to keep kids in check with Ms.Carr everyone knows she takes her job very seriously when it especially came to phones people had to really sneak their phones. If your phone was seen by Ms.Carr you would have to take it to the dean office where they’ll hold it till the end of day and no one likes doing that because the line to get your phone back be too long. Getting off track a little I know it’s always something happening in Ms.Carr class because it’s either I’m getting seat changed, getting a first reminder because I’m talking when I’m not suppose to, but Ms.Carr always worked with me to ensure I pass English III. Ms.Carr would make sure I finish my work if it came to homework annotations or finishing an essay due she was there to help. One day in class trying to behave I remember sitting in the front in the top right it was cold outside all the windows shut heater on. When class start it can get hectic because everyone starts talking and me wanting to show Ms.Carr I can behave  meaning no talking I let everyone else talk. When Ms.Carr puts her foot down everyone listens it’s time to do our Do Now for 5 minutes, which I finished already while everything was happening. As class is going on we have a class discussion about a chapter in the book The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junior Diaz and one of the class discussion questions what is the sister doing in the book and I said “getting her cheeks clapped” out loud because the book is really explicit. When I said this my classmates started laughing and Ms.Carr heard what I said and told me “Brian that’s inappropriate go to the Dean office” I spoke back and was like “but that’s what happened in the book the sister was literally in the closet having sex”. I was confused at first and I believe as well I wasn’t in the mood when it came to English class lately because it was always something happening. Getting sent to the dean office some people like it and others don’t knowing how my mother is she don’t want phone calls at work from the dean about me gettin sent out of class this made me feel annoyed. At this point in my head saying “I’m getting sent out for some dumbshit” literally anywho I walk in the dean office and I’m told to sit down in one of the cubby sections. In the dean office there’s other kids in the their already that got sent out as well; Ms.McKenzie my favorite dean she tells to sit in the chair placed right next to her desk.She’s reading Ms.Carr sent regrading why I got sent out she started laughing right with the other dean Dean Rush.Ms.Mckenzie asked me “why you saying this in class” while laughing still she couldn’t believe I got sent out for that but I told her “if you read the book you’ll see what I’m talking about” and she asked to see where in the book it says the sister is having sex. I showed her and she said “I understand but next time don’t say those words” and “I’m saying it’s true words and I know that what was said what not the right place to say it. I’ll take a note when and where to say certain things”. So after me and Ms.Mckenzie mediation she called my mom because when you get sent out the dean calls your parent when she called my mom I already knew she was gonna be mad at the fact that I’m getting sent out. On the phone my mom is told what happened then the phone was given to me my mom asked “what happened?” I explained what was going on and she said “ you trying to make jokes and don’t try to justify what I did  wrong” I told her “l understood”. When everything was done and went back to where I was sitting this is where it hit me about the educative system that it could be made to control you and teach you how to use your words properly, which is understandable I just felt like Ms.Carr can sometimes take her job to serious I’m a junior we are mature to handle things said like that which we are because when I said the sister was getting her cheeks clapped ipthey laughed but not abruptly to the point it was distracting the class. Even when the period was done and I saw my friends they even felt like it was a drag to send me out. My point is to show you the system can sometimes discourage us when we can’t speak freely even if rules are applied not so strict.

1. Annie Wang

Brian, I enjoyed reading your story. It was humorous but still made a point about effective teaching: at what point does a certain environment (e.g. too strict) restrain the ability to learn and have discussion? As you continue to revise this piece for the final submission, I’d like you to pay attention to structure (where are your paragraphs? What points do you want to raise? What details are actually relevant? What’s the main message you want to inform your reader about?) – remember this is also a submission for an English class, so things like grammar and structure matter!