A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

HW 9/7 Ivan Medel

Something that changed my view of my education is YouTube and TikTok. I say this because while using the apps too separate from the world sometimes I stumble upon certain videos that help with inconveniences or just like how to handle necessities. even if I go on YouTube to look up how to fix a problem, YouTube will sometimes also give more videos on other problems that I didn’t even know. like when I searched for how to replace a toilet seat, it also showed me how to unclog the sink and how to replace the sink attachment. even when I go on TikTok some TikTok gives me advice on how to handle money, which banks can help me develop credit, and how to handle loans and housing. sometimes I learn new things on TikTok on how to work out which muscle group and which items or discounts for people or students. learning new things may be interesting and helpful when the time comes, like when I need to replace the sink attachment with a different one or when I need to fix the shower head in my bathroom. Sometimes it scares me to do new things for the first time cause I wouldn’t know if I fixed it or broke it, when looking into the video on how to handle credit and a card I learn more than what I did in high school. I learned more from accidentally watching videos on financial, and housing, and tips on how to better myself. people may say you don’t learn anything on social media, that just means that their social media is recommending stuff they want to see but when you know how to control the things that social media recommends you stuff you learn new things and relearn some old tips. that is why my view on education has changed, because of YouTube and TikTok and controlling what is recommended to me.

1. Annie Wang

Ivan, I love this idea you are exploring about what you can learn through the power of social media. You bring up interesting ideas about “just in time” learning and learning about things you didn’t even know were problems. As you continue exploring this topic, I want to hear more about what these experiences have taught you about learning. You’ve given me a lot of information and explanation, but it’s worth thinking about – what key points do you want your readers to walk away with?