A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Homework 9/7- Jayden James

In March of 2019 the world went into a frenzy with the anomalous COVID-19 virus and schools all across the nation shut down to keep the disease from spreading. The entire country went into quarantine and stayed in there homes and was not permitted outside for any reason to keep the virus  contained.  Schools transitioned from in person learning to remote learning so students can still learn even though they are not physically in school. Many schools used google meet but my school used zoom. I was never fond of quarantine because i often got distracted and I was learning from a place of comfort. The zoom calls with the teachers was excruciating as well, I often got bored and restless whenever I was on the zoom call with them. I played with my consuls, watched tv & ate food whenever I felt like it and it that got in the way of my learning & the pursuit of my educational prowess. Whenever I was in school I was always focused on my teachers and schoolwork in the classroom and but when at home it was hard to remain on task or complete the work given to me through google classroom. Initially when starting out quarantine I thought it was fairly easy with the work being done in a blink of an eye but my work ethic slowed down and I quickly grown lazy, I quickly realized you need to be focused on your school work to get it done with maximum efficiency.

The importance of mental health and well being in education was emphasized by quarantine. The pandemic’s impact on mental health highlighted the need for support services and a more comprehensive approach to education. Before in school I used to believe schools focused heavily on mental health  but after remote learning i quickly learning that wasn’t true. Many students were and are tremendously traumatized by quarantine and schools don’t talk about it nearly enough as they should have, they treat it almost as it never happened. Staying at home for a long time doing school work none stop take a toll on the mind. As a child I wanted to do school work at home because I believed that my education would be further along ahead but when doing work from home it takes a toll on your mental thinking capability to do anything for a long period of time. You need a good head on your shoulders to me able to do your work and achieve greatness when it comes to your education. Mental health is important and shouldn’t be taken for granted, it can severely  affect you in the long run.

1. Annie Wang

Hi Jayden, you write about a crucial and relevant topic: the role of mental health in education. I relate a lot to how you describe your experience during quarantine – I think everyone’s work ethic changed over the pandemic.

Before in school I used to believe schools focused heavily on mental health but after remote learning i quickly learning that wasn’t true. >> This is a fascinating insight you bring up. I’d love to learn more what you mean here. Why did you think that before? What did you think mental health looked like before the pandemic?

Many students were and are tremendously traumatized by quarantine and schools don’t talk about it nearly enough as they should have, they treat it almost as it never happened. >> This sounds like something happened to make you feel this way. I’m curious to hear that detail.

You’re scratching the surface of a very important conversation, and I’m excited to see where you take this idea.