Beth Tondreau | COMD1127—D035 | Fall 2022

Man_Fenda Book Series

The cover that caught my attention the most is Luis Buñuel. It follows a circular path and at the largest font size, there is a part of an incomplete ‘O’ that sticks out. It’s annoying, an eyesore: the way it’s in the first line where the title is supposed to be, but is incomplete. In fact, none of the lines on that cover is the complete title that it was supposed to display. If that cover had become an actual book, you’d have to read several lines of that title in order to get the complete title. Unless I’m wrong the title is very obviously supposed to take up the Luis Buñuel space, then it’s just the incomplete ‘O’ that bothers me. Imagine centering Luis Buñuel: pure satisfaction. I also absolutely despise the Fenda Alface cover for the same reasons. Both these book covers are just messy.

Ernesto Sampaio and Potlatch are similar in that they’re kinda messy, but Ernesto Sampaio has complete letters and Potlatch is very obviously where the title is supposed to be so the rest of the stuff doesn’t matter.

1. Beth (Mary-Elizabeth) Tondreau

I’m excited to read that the playful and expressive typography has ignited such passionate response. Good for you, Samantha. The Luis Bunuel cover is crazy by design; liking it is not required! I imagine that if you find the Ernesto Sampaio and Potlatch covers messy then you’ll abhor the cover design for the Nigel Barley.