American Minstrelsy, Jazz and Dance

DUE DATES:
Main response: Tuesday, March 19
Replies to classmates: Tuesday, March 26

In this clip (beginning around 3:00 to the end) we see a stage performance at the famous Cotton Club in Harlem during the Jazz Age. The music is composed and performed by one of the most important composers and band leaders of the era, Duke Ellington. Watch the clip and look very carefully at the styles of dance, costumes, and character representations. Some of the characters are in black face. What do the costumes suggest to you? What about the set? Where is this taking place? Early popular music from minstrel shows influenced jazz in the 20th century. Many of the dances in the clip  are adaptations from minstrel shows — the “cakewalk” or “walk around” and “shuffle”. The music and dance you see in the clip laid the foundation for the development of American musical theatre. In other words, one of the main sources for the  popular music and dance during the Jazz Age and early musical theatre was an extremely racist form of art: the minstrelsy act (the remnants of which can still be seen in the 1920s in the clip). And yet, African American artists have made incredible, essential contributions to the development of jazz music and dance (in minstrelsy shows, clubs and theatres, and in the recording industry). 

You have read this article about the history of minstrelsy in the United States. Williams argues that by “blackening their faces and ‘performing color,’ African American minstrels were able to conceal their true identities while honing their craft as artists and serving their communities by becoming cultural ambassadors and building charitable organizations.” She also cites Overton Walker, who agrees that although African Americans were performing stereotypical acts that demeaned and mocked black Americans, when “a large audience leaves the theatre after a creditable two and a half hour performance by Negroes, I am sure the Negro race is raised in the estimation of the people….” In other words, although African American entertainers were performing stereotypes that reinforced racist attitudes towards blacks in America, there were also positive outcomes for African American performers and perhaps society as a whole.

Thinking about the clip from the Cotton Club and the article, do you believe the jazz music and dance in the clip did more to harm African Americans or benefit them? Take a strong position and argue for only one or the other. Your response should be one paragraph (4 sentences minimum) and you need to explain why you think it harms or benefits by giving reasons and suppling evidence (examples).   

After the due date for posting your paragraph, I will release everyone’s work. At that point, begin a conversation with one other person about their response before the second due date. For full credit, post a minimum of two replies. Grading is based on originality and honesty. Back up your opinions with examples. Everyone’s response should be unique. 

41 thoughts on “American Minstrelsy, Jazz and Dance

1. Alexis Cisneros

Thinking about the clip from the Cotton Club and the article, I believe that jazz music and dance was beneficial to African Americans. This is because although the clip and the article is about stereotypes and was meant to mock African Americans it still provided them a platform. The article also explains how at the time it was one of the only ways for African Americans to be able to perform. As shown in the clip of the cotton club it was a way for African American performers to display their talents in music and dance. Jazz later developed overtime leading to the success of African American performers. Their success is because of the cultural integration of jazz which helped many notice African Americans for the talent and skill.

1. Yufei Lin

I agree with you that despite the stereotypes and negative impact on African Americans mentioned in clips and articles, I believe that jazz music and dance is far more beneficial than harmful to African Americans. To quote from the article “They would not see the magic that created a viable life, culture, and art from the wreckage of slavery and Jim Crow, magic that shines with the brilliance of the ancestors who sacrificed all that they had, knowing that they would indeed live on.” This illustrates that this platform gave African American performers the opportunity to provide and showcase their musical and dance talents. Later, as jazz continued to develop, it led to African American performers’ success while retaining their ancestors tradition.

2. Jesus Diyarza

I agree with your statement because many of the African American actors involved in the performances had to wear masks to conceal their identity to ensure this safety. By doing so, they were able to develop their abilities and craft as artists

3. sarah

I agree Alexis many African Americans wouldn’t have a platform otherwise because of the severity of racism at the time. It gave them a way to show their talents even if the way they were showing their talents wasn’t positive.

4. steve_d

While Jazz music was provided a platform, you could also argue that it still provided a reason to continue the stereotype for other platforms. As you see in the video, the women were portrayed as house slaves which was a very hurtful stereotype which was blatantly encouraged which could possibly have the audience bring home some very unhealthy views on the African American populous. Another example is the quote when white people would represent African Americans, In 1830 Thomas Dartmouth Rice, also known as “Daddy Rice,” a Caucasian New York born actor/singer, would blacken his face and “jump Jim Crow.”. This is not an act that needed to be continued or to be encouraged by other African Americans which could harm our culture even more.

2. Winson Chen

I believe that jazz music and dance did benefit African Americans. As seen in the video, a performance put on by Duke Ellington and his crew with accompanying jazz music is made for an audience at the Cotton Club and everyone was having a good time and enjoying themselves. In the article, Williams states, “By blackening their faces and ‘performing color,’ African American minstrels were able to conceal their true identities while honing their craft as artists and serving their communities by becoming cultural ambassadors and building charitable organizations.” I think that African American performing blackface themselves, they were able to create a culture for their community and a place for fellow African Americans to belong. By taking on the role set before them, they were able to change it from the inside and create their own performances that slowly overwrites the racism in minstrel performances and thus jazz music, “walk around”, and other acts became theirs. It leads all the way back to the performances done by Duke Ellington and his crew which brought joy and entertainment to the community.

1. obeek

Good point, to me it sounds like you’re saying even though there were negative aspects to the performances, it gave people opportunities they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten as easily & eventually they were able to turn the bad into good?

2. Henry

I agree with Winston on Jazz benefitting African Americans. As he stated it was able to overwrite racism in a way and make their own performances creating a stepping stool for African Americans in today society in terms of music and performances.

3. Tshari Yancey

Jazz music and dance helped African Americans express their artistic expressions but overall it did harm to the stereotypes of AA’s. Even the black people who performed blackface to introduce “new” masking of African Americans it still didn’t matter because it was to entertain the masses not to educate. An example of this is the Cotton Club, it had black performers but no black people as attendees because it was a “white only club”. If the art form of Jazz and dance was taking seriously to show the beauty of the African ancestry especially in Harlem wouldn’t the community be invited? It just led to more appropriation and black people being bad stereotypes as we seen it through history.

1. obeek

This makes sense to me. I didn’t think about helping the culture with artistic expression, which was a good thing; But overall I’d agree that Minstrelsy did more harm than good. It might have made it harder for AAs to be respected later down the line because it reinforced stereotypes like ignorance and us being inferior to whites.

2. wenhui Jin

I agree with you, that according to the Cotton Club clip, it does give the impression of African Americans wearing skimpy clothes dancing on stage, and trying to please white people off stage. And the white people in the audience were still drinking, giving people the impression that they were not taking things seriously.

3. Henry

I disagree with Tshari as I believe this did not harm African Americans. they were able to create their work of art even if they weren’t accepted to the clubs properly. although there were some hardships it still eventually allowed African Americans to be the founders of their set style of music.

4. steve_d

While it is true in the clip, African Americans were performing in a whites only club, it was referred to in class how they also performed in black and white clubs. In those days there were no real resources created for AAs which made it very hard for AAs to be able to show their culture without any scrutiny. When reading the article it was referred in a quote that they had no resources available and performing on stage was one of the only jobs that was at their disposal. Yes performing as a principle shared racist tones, but just like everything the service evolved and over time we got the recognition we deserved, even though there are many more thing to work on.

4. Jesus Diyarza

I believe that Jazz music and dance did more good than harm for African Americans because they were able to participate in performances, even though some of the acts they performed were stereotypical and the fact that they were on the side of the performers and not on the audience side. “In this age we are all fighting one problem―that is the color problem. I venture to think and dare to state that our profession does more toward the alleviation of color prejudice than any other profession among colored people” Like the reading mentioned, many African American actors involved in the performances wore masks that were called masquerades. The masks served as something that concealed the identity of the performer to ensure their safety, while they were able to improve their performances as artists 

5. obeek

I think the cotton club clip came off as a bit of a humiliation ritual because it magnified black stereotypes like low intelligence, & a party attitude being cool (themes that are highly overused & popular in black music today like Rap & Hip-Hop). It even casts the clowns Mr. Bones & Tambo as blacks, & both are basically wearing Jim Crow costumes. The article seems to imply that performances like the ones in the clip helped the blending of cultures which in turn probably helped to ease racial tensions. While this might be true in the short-term, I think in the long-term it also dug stereotypes deeper because it normalized them. Aida Overton Walker points out that the black actors “interacted with more white people in a week than some do in an entire year”, that is alot of opportunities to reinforce these stereotypes. I thought it was interesting that the article mentioned black people loving “fried chicken & watermelon” because this is something I used to hear growing up as a kid in the early 2000s, almost 150 years after the fact.

6. wenhui Jin

I think the jazz music and dancing in the clip are more damaging to African Americans. This is because you not only need to decide based on the music and dance but also the context of the moment. At the time, the Cotton Club only allowed whites to enter and enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment. But that was unfair because the performers at the Cotton Club were mostly African-American and the neighborhood where the Cotton Club was located at the time was about 70% African-American and they weren’t allowed to go there. Ironically, this is the most famous club in their neighborhood. According to the article “The American Minstrelsy: Remembering Africa, Birthing America” by Sybil R. Williams, although dance, music, and entertainment events are very popular, they reinforce negative stereotypes of African Americans. So I think it’s hurtful because it ruins their image and they’re not respected either.

1. Yufei Lin

I agree with you that it needs to be decided based not only on the music and dance but also on the context of the time. But at the same time, I felt that it was one of the few platforms that African Americans at that time could use to express and display their heritage, and through the article “The American Minstrelsy: Remembering Africa, Birthing America” by Sybil R. Williams, “. . .these companies did provide stage training and theatrical experience for a large number of colored men. They provided an essential training and theatrical experience, which, at the time, could not have been acquired from any other source.” Although you said “At the time, the Cotton Club only allowed whites to enter and enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment. But that was unfair because the performers at the Cotton Club were mostly African-American and the neighborhood where the Cotton Club was located at the time was about 70% African-American and they weren’t allowed to go there. Ironically, this is the most famous club in their neighborhood.” It’s unfair, but at the same time, I feel like this is one of the few opportunities for African Americans to continue their traditions under fair circumstances. It is precisely because African Americans seized this opportunity that their traditions were preserved and unexpectedly developed. And, I believe, there were not many opportunities to benefit them at that time, even if it also brought negative effects and stereotypes about African Americans. But I believe that the negative impact and stereotypes can be slowly found ways to improve in the future, but it is difficult to find ways to benefit African Americans.

2. jacqueline_f

Hi Wenhui, 

I agree with the idea that it did damage the image of African Americans and as you said the context of the time. As you stated where these clubs were exclusively letting in white people and most of the performances that were being played in the club were African Americans. Although African Americans were able to be performers it was at the cost that it damaged their perspectives. Quoting the text “The most damaging aspect of the minstrel show was this codification and popularization of the “negro” stereotype”. (Signature) Additionally, the club frequently created prejudicial views imagery of the era, portraying black performers as uncivilized when, in fact, they were merely regular people. Merely adhering to the conventions of the stage in turn as to appeal to the club’s wealthy, white guests. 

jacqueline f D273

3. sarah

I partially agree Wenhui. I agree it was humiliating and you do make a good point that they were only allowed to perform in front of white people at the cotton club. At that time, it was hard for black people to be taken seriously and get credit without white people backing them. In my opinion it was like a necessary evil if you wanted to be a successful black performer at that time. Yes them participating reinforced the stereotypes but I don’t think them not participating would stop the stereotypes from being spread.

7. Yufei Lin

Yufei Lin D273

I think the jazz music and dance in the clip did more to benefit African Americans because it’s another way of keeping alive the traditions of their African American ancestors. And this approach created what would be the first known American theater form and also influenced a host of other things. By Sybil R. Williams in the article “They would not see John “Picayune” Butler, a black French singer and banjo player who lived in New Orleans, Louisiana, whose musical prowess led him to participate in the first banjo tournament held in the United States in New York in 1857. They would not know that the banjo itself is an adaptation of the West African kora and continues the tradition of the djeli in the Americas. They would not see the juba, often referred to as “patting Juba,” a dance with intricate steps performed without accompaniment except stomping, clapping and the percussive striking of the body.” This illustrates that although minstrel show demonstrate the codification and popularization of the “negro” stereotype to a certain extent, more importantly, this performance method originates from the adaptation of African traditions and retains African Americans ancestral traditions and then it evolved American dramatic forms.

1. wenhui Jin

While you have a point, I disagree because according to the article “American Minstrelsy: Remembering Africa, Birthing America” by Sybil R. Williams, despite the popularity of dance, music, and entertainment, They reinforce negative stereotypes about African Americans. The Cotton Club only allowed white people to enter and enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment. And it’s unfair. Most of the performers at the Cotton Club were African-American.

2. Winson Chen

By incorporating African traditions into minstrelsy, African Americans are able to turn these shows that once were based on stereotypes into a way of spreading their culture. Like you said about the banjo, other styles and ideas originating from their culture can be used in minstrel shows to benefit African Americans.

3. Tshari Yancey

I do agree that John “Picayune” Butler participating in the first banjo tournament was an opportunity to teach the history it has with west african and the tradition of djeli sound but do you think it had some negative elements? like some jazz musicians still faces discrimination when attending these segregated venues.

4. Jesus Diyarza

I agree with your statement because even though some of the actions that white performers did that were harmful, like wearing black face, entertainment developed and so did the themes of the acts and performances. At first, black face and mocking enslaved Africans by wearing tattered clothing were common performances, other aspects like comedy, dance and song soon replaced them and entertainment evolved as well

8. Julio Capellan

JULIO CAPELLAN D273

I believe the jazz music and dance in the clip helped give light to African American talent, yet we can’t ignore the surroundings of which it was displayed. The clip from the Cotton Club while allowed African Americans to shine and be recognized for their talent, it still promoted racial segregation. African Americans were limited in opportunities, making it difficult for progression in the art. For example, Duke Ellington faced discrimination in the Cotton Club regardless of how talented he was. So, while giving African Americans a place to perform, the clip still had a more harmful impact when looking at equality within the entertainment industry.

1. jacqueline_f

Hi Julio,

Agree, because the Cotton Club was a well-liked nightclub in Harlem that had a cover charge even though it provided African Americans with an opportunity to showcase their culture and perform. In the article, it discusses how many of these performances included elements of their traditions. Quote “While Africans in the Americas did not have the physical mask, they often continued these sacred rituals by subsuming African sacred practices in Christian religious practices and icons, which gave rise to such syncretic religions as Vodun, Candomble, and Santeria” (Signature). Additionally, even if they blended traditional elements with their performances, the audience wasn’t being reached in the same way. The bulk of people visiting the club were white, and because of preconceptions they had about African American stereotypes, having those ideas is what they preconceived about the performance of the play. 

jacqueline f. D273

9. jacqueline_f

jacqueline flores D273

In the clip, we are shown a group of women dancing and performing wearing almost like maid outfits. And immediately changed their outfits to more revealing clothing and started a kick line and so many other dances in between. Then in the end they bring out people at the end of different ethnicities and a few with what looks like black face. As said in the article they wrote “ The “burnt cork mask” of “blackface” had become a standard convention of the minstrel stage. For African American artists to perform they too had to adhere to the conventions of the stage.” (signature). I think it was a little bit of each because again in terms of harm, it did harm a lot of the community. They were being portrayed as something they were not and off like jokes and in the article they talk about how there was one specific play that damaged them. Stating “The most damaging aspect of the minstrel show was this codification and popularization of the “negro” stereotype” (signature). They had a part in the minstrel where they were eating stereotypical foods like watermelon, and chicken, and they couldn’t speak well and beating their husbands with skillets. They had to perform because although there was a decline of minstrel shows they had to keep the act. Put stuff in their face and adhere to what they were always seen as by others. The article talks about how the masking part of the performance was able to quote “Daily, masking often concealed the enslaved African’s true feelings, their deepest identity, thus ensuring their safety. By blackening their faces and “performing color,” African American minstrels were able to conceal their true identities while honing their craft as artists and serving their communities by becoming cultural ambassadors and building charitable organizations.” (signature). Again yes it had concealed African Americans would use masking as a way to hide their identities for emotional security. it was not only that but it was an art form that enriched the community culturally. However, there was a lot of harm done to how people perceived African Americans.

10. Rodolfo Ferreira

From minute 3:00, I started watching the famous Cotton Club in Harlem during the Jazz Age. The dances were very cultural by the time the video was recorded. The styles of the dancers played an essential role in showcasing what happened in the past with slavery in the United States. The ladies went from wearing maids’ clothes to agricultural clothing. They kept entertainment for the audience while pointing out racial discrimination because it was not accessible for some people by the 20th century. Therefore, I noticed a man in the audience drinking alcoholic drinks, which was prohibited at the time in theaters. The set design is intended to create the ambiance of a lively nightclub, complete with glittering lights, ornate decorations, and a bustling crowd. It is likely reflective of the Cotton Club, a renowned venue in Harlem known for its glamorous and vibrant performances. African American artists significantly contributed to jazz music and dance during this period, when Broadway shows increased over time to time.

In this case, it benefits African Americans. African American cultural expression and innovation. These performances offered African American artists a livelihood during difficult times. They laid the groundwork for future generations to build upon their artistic accomplishments by emphasizing the importance of African American culture in the national narrative. Finally, the jazz music and dance featured in historical scenes like the Cotton Club significantly benefited African American neighborhoods by demonstrating their cultural contributions, challenging stereotypes, and paving the way for future artistic and social advancements.

1. Winson Chen

I really liked the details you pointed out in the video of the cotton club. The performance demonstrated African culture being used in the show and everyone was having such a great time. The people embraced the new shows with the jazz and dances and forgot about the shows based on stereotypes.

11. Habib Bodunrin

The costume in the jazz suggests that this play is more of a formal play with the setting showing a house in the background with the girls dressing as housekeepers, so I assume the time is around slavery. Also, the set also has a painted flat feel and is less detailed. Which makes the viewer focus more on the dancers than the background because there are so many dancers. Jazz music helped African Americans overall because it was one of the music genres that helped shaped America today in music. Even though there were some horrible origins like black face, the African Americans managed to turn that negativity into their own style and use it to get in the industry. Furthermore, jazz helped build the first black theater form by using some of the old African instruments such as banjo or the juba dance. They innovated the sound that helped build their theatre for future generations. 

12. Jeffery Chong

Jeffery Chong D273

I believe the jazz music and dance in the video clip did more to benefit African Americans because it influenced them to have an immersive feeling and it allowed them to express their opinions on performing in stages while the article is talking about stereotypes and how it’s going against the African Americans. However, it also explains how African Americans were able to perform in stages in many different ways. For example, in the clip, it shows African Americans developing types of skills and talents while singing and dancing on stage for the audience to experience what jazz music was like.

1. Alexis Cisneros

I agree with your statement. Jazz music overall was more beneficial to African Americans than harm. I also agree with what you said about how their performances were a way for them to be able to practice and display their skills so that they are known for that and not the stereotypes.

13. sarah

I think jazz music and dance did more good than bad. During that time it was hard for black people to become rich or well off. Music and dancing was one of the few ways they could make a name for themselves. Like in the case of Duke Ellington he became famous and rich because of his musical talents. And if he hadn’t started in racist performing he might have never been recognized by the white people with money that eventually paid for his shows and made him rich. Especially because at the time most shows were segregated and white people had more money and connections and more freedoms than black people. So if a white people backed him he could go further at that time.

14. steve_d

Jazz music and any other art form performed during the 1920 was not harmful to black people only in the sense that it gave them a way to be seen as human beings with souls, which would provide them with opportunities to show off their skills and make an artform that is remembered. An example of this is in the article where it is stated that, …these companies did provide stage training and theatrical experience for a large number of coloured men. They provided an essential training and theatrical experience, which, at the time, could not have been acquired from any other source. (Bean, p.177). Another reason for why it helped the black community was that it gave them a better history to reflect on and be proud of and stand on its own as a race and not be defined by another. Another quote from the passage perfectly incapsulates this message with also the help of the word nommo, they would not see the magic that created a viable life, culture, and art from the wreckage of slavery and Jim Crow, magic that shines with the brilliance of the ancestors who sacrificed all that they had, knowing that they would indeed live on.

1. Habib Bodunrin

Jazz was also used in order to create a musical idenity for African Americans. Which not only help them systemically but mentally because it helps build an artistic identity. An identity that they can rely on when things are tough.

15. Henry

I believe the jazz music and dance showcased in the “Cotton Club” clip did benefit African Americans by providing a platform for artistic expression and cultural identity during a time of widespread racial discrimination. The exposure helped make jazz a serious art form, allowing African American musicians and dancers to gain recognition and respect within and beyond their communities. Despite the club’s racially exclusive policies, the performances at the Cotton Club propelled the careers of many black artists, contributing to the Harlem Renaissance and creating a greater appreciation for African American culture. More so, these artistic contributions played a huge role in the gradual shift of public perception, challenging stereotypes and paving the way for future generations of African American artists.

16. Aaron Dylan Singh

The genre of Jazz definitely benefited African Americans during the 1920s, due to the fact it created a pathway for them to been seen and heard as respected individuals. Jazz also allowed African Americans to have a space where they can dance freely in a sense of expressing oneself without the worry of restricting activities from racism. With Jazz it deleted the ideology of segregation instead it formed more of a community within African Americans so that the barrier of racism can be broken.

17. Nicholas Foreste

In my opinion the costumes suggest that the women are in the fields considering the baskets in front of them they might be doing laundry or picking Cotten. The background shows the facade of a house. The inspiration for the jazz music and dances used are like a double edged sword considering it is mocking African Americans way of expressing them selves but a lot of people obviously enjoyed the movements and decided to incorporate it into their work and many productions would play these types of music and dances. So it gave more Africans Americans opportunities to showcase these dances and music and become recognized.