St. Ann’s Tour and “The Hunt”

Due March 12

Tour attendees: Winston, Babib, Tshari, Alexis, Jacqueline, Osrick, Rodolfo, Jesus, Nicholas, Wenhui, Yufei, Steven, Deondre, Conrod, Julio, Jeffery, Henry, Pierre-Ryan, Sarah, Nancy, Aaron

During the tour of St. Ann’s, we walked through a number of spaces to be used in different ways by different people. The designs, layouts and architecture of the spaces often tell the human being in the space how to use them — in other words, they were “spatially coded.” Most of the spaces did not have signs explaining how to use the space, and yet we know what they mean because we have cultural knowledge about social expectations according to architectural, interior, and theatrical design. Lighting, sound, walls, stairways, tables, seating, set design, screens, blackout curtains, doorways — every object and material aspect of a designed space informs our behaviors.

In two full paragraphs, describe at least three of these different spaces as you experienced them on the tour and during your experience at the theater for the performance. Which design aspects indicated to you how to behave in the space? How? Was there a difference in how you were expected to behave on the tour and during the live performance? Why? How were boundaries between social spaces marked, and what changes in your behaviors did you have to make when you crossed the threshold into the new space? How did you feel when you were close to a boundary? Were there any spatial crossings that made you uncomfortable? Why?

20 thoughts on “St. Ann’s Tour and “The Hunt”

1. Deondre Marcelle

One space was the front of house. This area had chairs benches a box office and a bar. The layout and design of the space made it seem as if you are to hang out and talk there. It was very spacious with enough space for people to be all over the area. There didn’t seem to have any theme or structure within the arrangement which makes you feel relaxed. There wasn’t much difference between the tour and being there for the play.

Another space was the stage and seats. This had a lot more structure when compared to the front of house. The chairs had numbers while the steps had letters. This indicates a place for you to sit and makes you feel as if there are rules to follow and you must listen to them. The direction the chairs faced where all the same so you had to look within one direction which was the stage. When the play started everyone was quite and were paying attention to what the actors were doing, saying and the instructions being told. Even during the tour you had the same feeling, The only differences being that instead of focusing on the actors you focused on the tour guide. And that you can talk loud enough to be heard by people.

The last space is backstage. This is the area that is extremely different from the play and going on the tour. When going to see the play you aren’t allowed into the backstage area. So that feels as if you can get in trouble or that’s not something you should be doing. However on the tour backstage seemed as if it was just another space within the theater. The layout seemed as it was “this is the best we can do”. Despite that it felt cozy because of what was around. The refreshments placement of objects and games made it seem as this a space similar to the front but only for important people.

1. sarah

Going into the theater during the tour the space seemed more free. We were allowed to walk around more. And generally explore a little bit. We got to ask questions and the lights were on and it was more welcoming. However on the day of the show there were way more people. It was less welcoming. The lights were down and it seemed like you should be quiet when you go in. The boundaries of the theater were marked by the ushers when you’re about to walk into the theater. When I passed the usher I was mostly quiet except for me finding my seat. 

I went backstage on the tour but assumed I wasn’t allowed to during the show. The boundary was a black curtain. When entering backstage I was mostly quiet just looking around. There were people standing in front of that curtain the day of the show. However I did wonder a lot about what was going on backstage.

The lobby when we came on the tour was very welcoming. And it was also welcoming on the day of the show. It was way more lively the day of the show with the snack booth open and all the people there. The boundary was the door in. My behavior didn’t change much when I stepped in. I just took out one headphone so I could go to the right place.

2. Alexis Cisneros

When first entering St. Ann’s the space that stood out to me the most was the lobby. The area was open with a bar and an area for seating. The lighting was well done. The area was bright and it utilized natural light that came through the well-placed windows and entrance. It can be said that the lobby lets you behave in such a way that you can sit down and hang out while you wait. After we left the lobby we went through a hallway that led to the theater. The hallway is a space where it allows people to circulate from the lobby to the theater. It is a space that can change the setting from the lobby to allow you to behave differently when entering the theater space. The theater space had different design aspects when compared to the last 2 spaces mentioned. The theater space had more seating. The space also had a stage that was designed for the play. The stage utilizes aspects of St. Ann’s brick material. The theater area also had equipment throughout the area. With all this in mind, it can be said that the theater space allows you to notice that you should behave professionally. This is because the theater space is a performance area which makes you expect that you should be quiet during the performance.

3. Jeffery Chong

Jeffery Chong D273

When I first started entering St. Ann’s Warehouse, the first space that really stood out to me was the auditorium. The seating area is very neat and organized and the stage has a really nice set for performing a show for the audience to watch. It also has a nice studio from the back of the auditorium where you can maintain lighting, audio and sound for theater performance for the audience to have an immersive experience.

The second space that really stood out to me is the lobby. The area is very bright and it’s a very convienent place for people to come hang out, sit down and relax while you’re waiting and the entrance and exit to the theater is very interesting for anyone to come in and out, and the third space of the theater that really stood out to me is the hallway. It’s where you can change the setting of the lobby and it allows you to behave very differently while you are entering the theater.

4. Winson Chen

Seeing The Hunt at the St. Ann’s Warehouse theater was a great experience and learning about the theater when a show is taking place and when it is not is very educational. When entering the theater, the first space everyone will see is the lobby area. There are comfy seats, the bar, the restrooms, the counter, and even the catwalk. It makes for a very welcoming place to all its guests. When it is about time for the show, it becomes crowded and the atmosphere is very lively. There lines at the counter, for those who are probably buying tickets on the night of the show, people seated at the bar, and, of course, the line to see the show which I went to right after using the bathroom.

The next space was the audience space. After scanning my ticket, going up the stairs, been given directions by the person who examined my ticket, and walking past the curtains, I made it to the seating area. During the tour, the area was much quieter due to there being less people and it was relaxed. During the show, however, all seats were taken as far as I can tell and I had to make sure to stay quiet for everyone’s enjoyment. While the audience space feels like it was reserved for just the audience, there were a few times it felt like it crossed with another space. This was during the moments when the characters appeared on the stairs between the seating areas. On the topic of the characters, their space is the stage. This is comprised of the wooden platform, the floor behind and to the side of it, the glass house in the center of the platform, and during those few moments, the stairs. If I recall correctly, there were white lines on the floor that surrounded the seating areas meaning that during the show, the area not confined to the white lines is the actors’ space. Within the actors’ space, the glass house is often used to make its own space within the setting of the show. The glass house is often used as an indoors area such as for the tavern or home or the church. At another point, it was used for the outdoors of one of the character’s home. The space meant for the show was used very well.

5. Henry

while at the st Ann warehouse, threee different spaces we experienced was the auditorium, the backstage and the stage itself. The design aspects of each space showed how we should behave in each of them. Such as in the auditorium we know we can’t talk and have to stay seated as that’s where the love performance is happening and we can’t go into the backstage where the actors are. Between the live performance and the tour we had to act accordingly to both. With the tour we were able to ask question and tour where the public couldn’t go such as backstage or sit anywhere at the auditorium compared to when the live performance was happening we had designated seating from the tickets and we aren’t allowed to go backstage.

the boundaries between social spaces were marked by between the lounge area and the auditorium there was someone scanning the tickets and that lets us know the setting was changing. When crossing into the new space some behaviors were adjusted to fit such as no speaking and silencing out phones and also to not take photos or recordings of the live performances. Being close to a boundary as that I was okay with it as I know the actors worked hard for this performance and there shouldn’t be any interruptions when they are working.

6. Pierre-Ryan

When I first visited St. Ann’s, I was intrigued by the large amount of open space in the “front of house.” The presence of a catwalk spanning the entire building only added to the intrigue. As we explored further, two distinct realizations dawned on me: Firstly, “This place is a lot bigger on the inside.” Secondly, “considering the size of the space in the front, the staging area can’t be that big.”

Soon after, our tour guide shed light on this peculiar arrangement, explaining that the flexibility of the space is intentional. It’s designed to be modular, adapting to the needs of different performances. For instance, when hosting productions like “The Hunt,” which originated in a smaller venue in London, St. Ann’s adjusts accordingly to accommodate.

During the tour, we were shown three primary areas: the front of house, the house itself, and backstage. These spaces were separated by thick black curtains and silver railings, serving both to guide the audience towards the stage and exit, while also discreetly hiding areas off-limits to spectators. There were no markings or bright lights to distract from the performance, ensuring that attention remained focused. The pathway to the stage was highlighted, gently directing viewers without the signage.

Accessing the backstage area felt almost taboo, emphasized by the discreet nature of the entrance. Once behind the scenes, the floor was marked with white tape, reminiscent of markings on a bus, which also denotes an area as off-limits. Just as crossing the line on a bus would prompt the driver to tell you to move back, straying beyond the designated backstage areas would likely lead to a correction from the staff.

While I cannot compare the tour experience to the actual live performance, I surmise that the main distinction lies in the lighting. The tour guide hinted that the performance setting would have less light, likely to enhance immersion and the theatrical experience.

7. Tshari Yancey

Going to tour the St. Ann’s warehouse before we went to see the show left me with one point of view, mainly how would the performance work with just this translucent shed? A thrust stage with a center stage that doesn’t even touch the back wall, it’s a small space for the actors even when performing but it works, we don’t see them get into the shed if they have a scene that requires them to be inside already because there is a trap door on the floor of the shed. It leads to the back/dressing room area that’s very spacious for putting the props without having to squeeze in. When sitting in the audience while watching the performance the shed seemed bigger than what it is, we get one perspective.

What I observed from sitting in the audience was the intimate setting between the audience and the actors. The spatial crossings were perfect for the performance, the actors being at the top of the stairs to represent the distance of an act was unique and executed well. An intense dialogue between actors engaged with the audience to build the anticipation particularly in the tense exchanges between Lucas and his estranged best friend Theo. The moving shed also gave the aspect of time passing, even the choreographed dance represented a ritual that we have discussed with ancient theatre.

8. wenhui Jin

wenhuiJin D273

The three different spaces that I can think of when watching a performance in a theater are the stage, the small glass house, and the auditorium. Although the small glass houses themselves exist on the stage, they can be divided into two different spaces. The small glass house on the stage is like another space different from the stage, because during the plot, as an audience, I feel that the space on the stage and the space inside the small glass house are not connected. Even the space on the stage can be divided into two spaces, not to mention the audience section. It feels like the audience section and the stage itself have a fourth wall. When people are in different situations, their behavior will always unconsciously change to suit the current situation. For example, in a theater, before the performance starts, there is a lot of noise in the audience and everyone is chatting individually. However, when the actors come on stage to start the performance, everyone invariably stops talking and pays attention to the performance on the stage. 

There’s a big difference between how I behave on the tour and during the live performance. That is, when watching the performance live, I paid full attention to the performance. But when I was on the tour, I didn’t have that feeling at all when I looked at the stage, it was just very bland. You can still experience a lot of things by watching live performances. For example, when the actor suddenly appeared in the audience section, I was frightened and surprised, especially when the actor’s voice rang in my ears. Because first of all, my attention was on the stage, and secondly, I didn’t expect this performance to cause the actors to run into the audience. And there is also something magical about the live performance. That is, there were props on the stage, but after I came back to my senses, those props suddenly disappeared. Although I know it was taken away, I have no impression of when it was taken away. Maybe it’s because my focus was all on the performance. And if something makes me uncomfortable, it may be that every time their music or sound effects are too loud, it scares me occasionally. But overall I think it will feel completely different if you watch it live.

9. Yufei Lin

Yufei Lin D273

The experience of touring is different from the experience of theater for the performance. When touring, although you can guess the purpose and performance of the performance based on the interior, walls, stairs, seats, set design, and other design spaces, when you actually watch the performance, you will still feel that it is very different experience. First of all, the first space that I care about the most is the small glass house in the center of the stage. During the tour, we couldn’t see the inside of the house, but during the performance, the small glass house was used in most of the plots. I think this is a very clever space, because I think the small glass house is used to perform the “house” space most of the time. For example, the characters open the door to enter or come out, and have conversations through the small glass house. And the small house has two states, one is transparent and you can see the inside of the house, and the other is completely invisible. I think this kind of space is very cleverly designed and can be used very well. Express the characteristics of the house and increase the experience of the performance.

The second space is the wall and stage. The stage space except the small glass house and the walls around the stage form an interactive performance space. For example, when Lucas’ performance came to the school scene, he took off his coat and hung it on the surrounding walls. Then the space design of the stage is also very ingenious, because the stage (including the small glass house) can be rotated, which makes good use of the stage space and also adds to the performance. The third space is the auditorium. What makes this space different for me is that I didn’t expect the actors to use the auditorium as a performance venue. For example, when Lucas walked down from the top of the auditorium to the stage . This made me feel very unexpected and pleasantly surprised, especially when I was looking at the stage with all my concentration and the actor’s voice suddenly sounded nearby. Finally regarding how the boundaries between social spaces are marked, I feel like it’s a tacit thing, a sense of behaving accordingly to the appropriate occasion. For example, before the performance started, the auditorium was noisy. The audience was chatting about their own topics. In short, it was very noisy. But when someone walked on the stage, everyone tacitly quieted down and waited for the performance to start. In addition to space, I think the coordination of lighting, sound, etc. is also a key factor in the success of the performance.

10. Habib Bodunrin

The three different spaces of theater that I experienced in the theater on tour and performance involved the space inside of the glass house, the circle around the stadium and the stairs on the house in the theater. Each space had a different design aspect that would make one feel a certain way. For example the interior of the glass house was very transparent and was stationed in the middle of the stadium. There was also lighting on the outside of the glass, which in turn allowed me to focus on the  audience. Then a circle around the audience made me look at the performers with a worried look. Since when it spins, there would be a person in the glass like the deer mask and Marcus would have some kind of problem.  Finally the stairs of the theater were right next to me and every time a performer was talking on the stairs it made me feel shocked. Since when I usually think theaters it typically involves a performer using the stage to act not the stairwell. 

Although there was a difference between how I acted on stage and tour. For the tour I was a little more silent since it was just about the coordinator explaining the purpose of objects in the theater. With no one performing on the I don’t really have anything to react to,so I was really calm. Compared to the performance where there were performers acting and that in turn made me more thrilled. Since they were using everything in the theater as the stage as well the story that they were portraying. This type of conflict was like a mystery that needed to be solved and it left me with more questions than answers. Which is why I felt more different at the tour than performance. Furthermore at the performance I did keep a boundary and that involved not moving around in my seat since every part of the theater helped in the scene. Even the exit scene of “the house” where Marcus was walking down. This forced me to pay attention to every part of the St Ann Warehouse, and it felt immersive because there were no distractions so the performance kept me occupied. Even when I was close to my boundary, my seat, I was still immersed in the theater because of the way the performer acted. It felt as if you were actually observing real people going through real problems instead of it being fictional. Finally there were no spatial crossings that felt uncomfortable, but there were some things that shocked me. Such as when the performers came from the exit door at the back of “the house “ section of the theater or the person with the deer mask in the glass house or the ground floor of the glass house acting as a hole..

11. Jesus Diyarza

The first thing that I noticed was the waiting lounge when we entered the building, and I knew it was a sitting lounge because of the many tables and sitting spaces that were located in front of a receptionist. The way I knew that they were a receptionist was due to the fact that they were talking on the phone about the tickets for a certain show. One is expected to use their inside voice when they are in the waiting lounge because others are doing their jobs and it is polite to be aware of the people surrounding you

When it was time to view the stage that the performance was going to take place on, the lights were on and nobody else besides us were present, so people knew that they could talk and ask questions. But the day of the performance, when majority of the audience members were already in their seats and the lights were dimmed, one knew not to talk because the performance was about to begin. Once the performance was over the actors gathered to the front of the stage and held hands, which was a kind of signal for the audience members to clap. It was a social expectation to clap because it was courtesy to demonstrated the admiration and appreciation of the hard work done by the performers

12. Nicholas Foreste

The st Ann’s warehouse theater is definitely unique in its own way and me personally I haven’t had a to visit many theaters, but the ones that I have visited or nothing like this one. As soon as you walk in the main lobby is probably the last normal area you’ll see because once you make your way to the theater your walking through in which seems like an abyss of darkness in which they lead to your seat and that’s all you see. But as you follow the path it leads right to the seats yet everything else is still covered no stage yet or anything like that. Then once the show is about to commence the lights get extremely dim and the dark curtains slide away. Compared to the tour the curtains were to the side of the theater and created a walk way still similar but different in a way.

In all my years I’ve only attended one other live action screening and it was on broadway to see spider man. Compared to that experience the theater seems a lot bigger compared to st Ann’s and rightfully so because the broadway theater can seat way more, but I mean st Ann’s theatre did a really good job and capturing the atmosphere and mood of the room, yes the hunt is a seemingly dark kind of production compared to spider man, but I talking about overall sound lighting everything that st Ann’s did during the production made me feel like I was actually there with them.

13. Julio Capellan

JULIO CAPELLAN D273

During the St. Ann’s tour, there were three spaces that left an impressionn on me as we ventured through the warehouse. One of the spaces was the lobby area, once you entered the warehouse. Social interaction were easy to form when discussing the design of the interior when in the lobby area, such as looking above at the catwalk that spread throughout the entire warehouse. When walking into the lobby area, you notice how the seating arrangement encourages grouping and the music along with lighting allowing people to get comfortable. This was a surprise to me as I wasn’t expecting such a welcome “at home” atmosphere in a theater.

Another space was the walkway from the lobby to the main theater. As we walked, I noticed the subtle change in lighting to compliment the large black curtains hanging from the ceiling, giving the feeling that you were stepping into a different area, leaving a sense of suspense behind it. I can see why some would be uncomfortable with this change in tone from the lobby, but I was more so intrigued by it and wanted to see where it led to.

Lastly, the main theater, where performances take place, also stood out to me. First thing I noticed was the seating layout, set into rows facing the stage, from high to low levels, signaling attention was to be direct towards the stage alone. During “The Hunt” performance, the use of dimmed lighting really added to atmosphere, promoting a silence needed from the audience. The stage when in use was a real draw of attention, especially how the platform was used for multiple transitions of actors, either from a trap door set in the middle of the stage or the walkways around the exterior. The stage itself played a role in the performance.

14. jacqueline_f

jacqueline flores- d273

During the tour, the woman showed us the main stage, and on that stage, there was a house structure right in the middle. She was letting us know that the acting would revolve around the house structure. Though on the tour we had no idea what the play was about so I believed the house would just be like just for small scenes that were just someone living in it. Or very minimal action would be done around the house. I didn’t even expect the stage to move as much as it did the day I watched it. On the day I saw the play I was greatly mistaken as a lot of action did involve the house. The spinning symbolizes the time passing on as the suspense builds on you as Clara recounts what happened to her on Friday to the director. Or when the moment the main guy had no longer become the hunter but the hunted as the town would taunt him and he was afraid to even open his house. The tour guide also talked about how dark the theater would get and how they have these covers that cover up the glass bricks. The dark curtains we see when we enter also help contribute to it. Since the show deals with a lot of lighting and a lot of it is flashing and the darkness it helps it even more. It’s as though we are in a box as the only light we can see is the one onstage. Traditionally some theaters would have lights on their stairs to tell people where to go or signs that would glow but it was pitch black. Especially in the beginning when it got so dark and the house would all of a sudden lit up and it was actors inside dancing and singing. 

We also had the opportunity to see the trap door that was under the house and unfortunately, I did not get to see that part since it was crowded when she was demonstrating it to us. However, when watching the play we switched to the part where they were in church and they had all the benches and everyone was sitting. It was insane at the thought of how fast the actors worked. Being able to move these benches up and down and all of them crowded in that small house. How fast they were able to transition from the scene before there was a guy with an animal mask standing there to the transition of the church scene. It was quite interesting how fast and quietly they were able to do the scene and with the house spinning as the male lead carried his dead dog to the church as a final saying as his final straw had been broken. 

15. steve_d

Through out all the spaces that were acknowledged throughout our tour, only three were recognized that had the most influence. The first space was the actual stage and seating space which was very reminiscent of the Shakespeare globe hall which had one small stage and rounded brick work which was very similar to where the actors were from. The surrounding area made it feel like a regular play but it seemed more free to do things you wouldn’t see in an American play like the actors actually smoked on stage and the one set piece was used for multiple uses allowing for us to use our imagination for the set piece and to focus on the characters.

The second space was backstage where the actors would tire to during the performance. When looking at it during the tour there were lines of tape that were seen during the dark sequences during the show. When going on the tour we couldn’t access certain areas because they already had things set up for the actors so we really couldn’t go there which made me curious but it was understood that we couldn’t mess with the things there cause it took time to set up everything perfectly back there. The third space was the front of the hall which made me uncomfortable because we were not allowed behind the bar it would have been nice to make our own drinks. It also had a good ambiance before walking in signifying that this was going to be a very serious play with undertones signifying that a serious topic would be discussed having some gothic tones in there as well having to look up at the arches.

16. Aaron Dylan Singh

During the St. Ann’s tour the class was introduced to three main spaces within the theater as a way to get a proper understanding on how these spaces were being used. First we were taken into the stage and seating area which was a new sight for me at least, because unlike other theater interior designs this space was designed with a wall wrapping around the stage made with bricks and having the stage placed in the front center of the room with a glass structure on top. Then as we continued the tour within the first space it was explained that depending on what show was being held at the theater there would either be an increase in seats or a decrease just based on how many tickets were sold for that production. It was also mentioned that when the glass structure is used it was made with the feature of spinning around to represent time passing to continue on to the next scene.

The second space that we were introduced to was the backstage area where we walked down a hallway that lead to a little section where preparation for the play would be held. The backstage area is where the actors would be either before the show getting ready or finishing up to close out the end of the show, one thing that I noticed was that there was different pieces of bright color tape placed around in a way of letting the actors know which area they have to be in. Lastly the third space we were taken to would have to be the lounge area and this space is filled with tables and seats as a way too keep everyone comfortable and safe while waiting, I also realized that there was a bar behind the waiting area incase someone wanted to order a drink or two to kill some time.

17. Rodolfo Ferreira

During my recent visit to St. Ann’s Tour, I had the opportunity to witness how architectural design plays a crucial role in creating diverse sets in a singular space. As I approached the building, the structure appeared old and worn out from the outside, but as I stepped inside, I was struck by the grandeur of the interior. The space was vast, with elegant chairs and bars that provided a relaxing atmosphere, perfect to unwind before or after a film.

The Auditorium was an architectural marvel, with a stage that simulated non-real bricks, adding to the overall aesthetic of the place. The brand new seats were incredibly comfortable, making the viewing experience even more enjoyable. The lighting design was equally impressive, with a cleverly constructed roof that allowed natural sunlight to enter the theater and illuminate the space during the day, reducing the need for artificial lighting and reducing energy costs.

The backstage was equally spacious and well-designed, with microphones for the actors and staff, an ample area for sound and lighting equipment, and a separate makeup area for the guests and actors. It was fascinating to witness how all the different elements came together seamlessly to create a magical experience for the viewers. Overall, my visit to St. Ann’s Tour was an unforgettable experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an exceptional architectural and cinematic experience.

18. sarah