Research question proposal

My research is about the relation ship between immigration and identity loss and how it effects them and the next generations. I know many immigrants come into the U.S  and when they get to live in the U.S they get used to the different culture, they learn the language, they adapt to certain differences to help them move forward for a better future. However, I know many kids from immigrant parents that were born in the U.S and most of their parents seem to forget their roots, they don’t teach their children their native language, or they adapt to the American culture so precisely that their children don’t know anything about their parents backgrounds. I have had experience with this issue with a friend of mine that always complains about the way she can’t speak Spanish or how her parents didn’t bother to teach her Spanish. She states she wishes to be able to communicate with people in Spanish. And if parents do teach their children their ethnic language, the children are embarrassed to speak in their native language. This affects their next generation because in society if you look a certain way there is a lot of racial profiling, for example with a Hispanic person you either look too Hispanic to be considered American or in the Hispanic community you are too white washed to be fully Hispanic. A question I have is, why does coming into a new culture and learning new things drift some away from their own roots? To the parents who immigrated to give their future generation a better life, why not try to keep culture, teach your child your mother language, teach them to be proud of where their parents are from? Is loss of identity when it comes to immigrants common? If so, do most immigrants teach their children or educate their children on pride in the person they are and the place they came from? I expect to find different stories of some of the children that came from immigrant parents and their experience with identity loss, I expect to find information on the percentage of immigrants that keep culture and tradition to the percentage of the ones experienced identity loss and how it effect them and their children.